Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two Exchange box seperated by vlans cannot send mail to each other

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caheem1

MIS
Sep 15, 2004
BB
Hi guys, I have a MS Exchange problem and I hope someone can help me. I have to companies that must be separated physically and logically. I used a Cisco 3750 layer three switch to create 4 Vlan’s. Vlan1 for company A servers and vlan 2 for company A Workstations. Vlan 3 for company B servers and vlan 4 for company B Workstations. The subnets are: vlan 1 192.168.1.0, vlan 2 192.168.2.0, vlan 3 192.168.3.0, vlan 4 192.168.4.0. All servers for both companies are Win2k3 servers. Each company has its own 2k3 Ms Exchange box. I can send and receive mail form both companies to external addresses, but not to each other. I can ping both Exchange boxes from each other. When I try to telnet to either exchange box on port 25 it connects; however, when I try to send mail via telnet session I get the error message “unable to relay for user@abc.com”.

Each one teach one

Does each company have a separate domain name ie an MX record pointing to its mailserver server?

You will not ba able to relay mail from xyz.com via abc.com's Exchange server

Or are you saying you can not send a message from xyz.com to abc.com?

..EB

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!"

"Captain A.J. Rimmer, Space Adventurer!"

Each domain has its own MX record pointing to its respective mailserver. Both servers can send and receive mail to outside domains but not to each other.

Each one teach one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back