Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two domains on the same subnet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TobyA

MIS
Nov 7, 2002
GB
Hi,

My company has two offices, one in Newbury and one in Bristol. Our Bristol office is closing down soon and some of the users will be coming here to Newbury.

The Bristol office has it's own NT4 domain (which is trusted by our Newbury W2K domain). To save myself some work over the weekend, is it possible to run two domains on the same subnet? If I just bring the PDC here and allocate it a new IP address, will the two domains live happily side by side??? :)

I imagine I may run into difficulties with DHCP servers trying to allocate the same IP address. Does anyone have any recommendations?

This is only a short term thing - I will integrate everything onto our Newbury domain in time.

Thanks a lot.

Toby

I don't see Y U can't, I don't think there is a problem with 2 domains on one subnet, as long as there is only one PDC for each subnet. If there is a DHCP server in each domain just split the IP Address pool for each

Server IP Pool range 192.168.1 - 100
Server II IP Pool range 192.168.100 - 200

or something like that

Hi,
the above DHCP solution wont work--you will have to either record every computers MAC address in each DHCP server and assign IP addresses that way or provide static ip address for 1 or both sets of pcs in each doamin.

PC boots up--gets the nearest responding DHCP servers IP address assignment.
if u split the pools on the servers it still wont stop either server giving out the an IP address for pcs in each domain.

however it wont matter which pc gets what IP address (remember trusted domains) as long as the DNS and WINS servers are the same across the board or using the example of a WINS server are PUSH/PULL partners.
however it isnt ideal an i would suggest assigning the comuters from 1 domain-static ip addresses and leaving the others as DHCP (remembering to stop the DHCP server on the static domina)
MCSE NT&2K
CCNA/CCDA
CNA
ASE
NSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back