Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two DC controllers, one in local office, one in remote office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burninator

IS-IT--Management
Jul 8, 2003
I have done many network installs with multiple DCs in one location on the same subnet. But I am now in charge of a project that will have an office (main office) and a smaller office in another location (remote office). We will be using windows 2000 and exchange. The two offices will be connected via a vpn link (T1). How do I configure the DCs to communicate to each other over the link to synchronize their user info?

Do I configure the second DC here locally and ship it off? Or do I setup at the remote location?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
JAson

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Well, as nobody else seems to be responding, I'll give you my $0.02.

If your VPN link is fast enough that you are not particularly worried about the replication traffic and are not planning on customizing the replication parameters, I would just config the box locally and ship it out. I suppose that the remote office will be on a different subnet, so you'll obviously have to change the IP address of the DC before you send it, but I don't forsee any other problems.

I have one client that we set up with a similar configuration and it works fine.

You could also define a new site in active directory. this will allow you to specify replication times, controlling bandwidth during working hours. This is not a complicated process. There is a lot of info on line. Here is a link that summarizes the process.

best of luck

scottie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back