Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two Copies of Sniffer using the same NIC in Win2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

perfnet

Technical User
Aug 1, 2002
BR
When we try to use a second copy (instance) of Sniffer, associated with the same NIC, in Windows 2000, the second copy doesn't captute or monitor anything. Only one of he copies works, while the other one stops capturing frames. In Win-NT or Win-98, it works fine.

Do you know any workaround for Win2K Sniffer installations ?

I have tried on Win2k with Terminal Service (Sniffer Pro system as Server) and it works (from Terminal service client)

Hi perfnet,

What version of Sniffer are you running? I tried running a second instance of Sniffer Pro 4.5 in Windows 2000, but it won't let me select the same adapter.

J.

Hi,
Using Sniffer portable (Sniffer Pro v4.x), Sniffer only supports having the Sniffer application open once on any particular machine.
When using a Distributed Sniffer Console, you can have unlimited amount of Sniffer applications GUIs, all monitoring and possible capturing. Sniffer only supports capture from 1 interface (card) at a time in any Distributed agent.
Alf

Sniffer does allow multiple instances on one PC but not One NIC. Why would you want to run two instances on the same NIC. The traffic will be identical

I guess, if i'm correct, some protocol analyzers else allow different capture buffer at the same time. And sometimes one needs to analyze network traffic in different views/filters simultaneously, right?

BA

With Sniffer Portable you generally can run more than one instance at a time. This is also possible on ONE NIC. What you need to do is to set up a new "probe" or "agent" in File -> Select Settings.

You can use e.g. 2 separate instances, one for monitoring and one for capturing. also, per instances you may choose different filter sets for monitoring or capturing. So it is possible and it can make sense.

But I recommend not to run 2 capture over the same NIC simultaneously. Both wnat to use you RAM as buffer, and when NT or 2K are starting to swap out datat you are in trouble with loaded networks.
Rgds Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back