Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two calendars in public folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

sakusan

IS-IT--Management
May 23, 2007
GB
Hello,
here is the issue. I have a calendar in my public folders called "meeting room 1" for people to book a room.
If you expand public folders in outlook you can see the calendar and book times. If the user goes into file/open other users mailbox and selects Calendar "meeting room 1" it opens a different calendar.
I can only see one instance in exchange and I only have one mail server so there is no replication.
I removed the folder so it was not visible in the adress list, when I put it back and tried to select it won't let me as it is not "mail items". However people can still access from the "history" of others users folders.
Does anyone know how I can have two different instances of one calendar? or where I can delete one of them?

Thanks

File>Open Other Users' Mailbox is not the same. That's a user account. That's entirely different than the Public Folder, and they don't have anything to do with each other.

You'd be better off using the Auto Accept Agent to do resource booking.

Auto Accept Agent Deployment and Administration Guide

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Hi 58sniper,

Thanks for replying.
Unfortunatley, after speaking to a few users, it appears that they were told to access the public folder calendars this way, rather than actually going to the public folder structure in the folder list (don't ask me why or how this happened...)
But there are items in there that are not unique to the user. i.e. everyone who enters appointments that way, appear on the calendar accessed that way. Therfore there must be a central location rather than user based.
Is the best solution to create a new calendar item, merge the two exisiting calendars and then delete them?
At present I have 50% of people using the public folder calendar and 50% of people accessing the calendar located in "open other users folder"
Many thanks

It it were me, I'd get everyone doing it the right way by adding the resource (user) to the attendees list of the meeting request. The above link will allow auto accepting of meeting requests by the resource.

Then I'd take the contents of the PF and copy them to the resource calendar, and kill the PF.

Microsoft Exchange MVP

I agree on dumping the public folder calendars. They are a big pain in the rear. We have them and they have been nothing but a nuisance.

Public Folder calendars have their place. Just not for resource booking. Especially since Exchange has that capability without using PFs.

Exchange 2007 does it even better.

Microsoft Exchange MVP

thanks for the tips!
Will put proper procedure in place to remove the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back