Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two brand new Desktop PC's have same Win7 licence key 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DMF

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
GB
Hi,

We have just bought two Lenovo ThinkCentre Pc's.

As part of my audit, I keep track of serial numbers and software license keys.

I have ran keyfinder on both machines and they report the same OEM license key.

Is this normal, if not, what is Lenovo playing at?

We have specifically bought Win 7 Pro installed (downgraded) machines, and expect to get genuine, unique license keys for the software, so a wipe and re-install can be performed if required.

Should I be concerned?

Thanks,
1DMF

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"
Free Electronic Dance Music

Its normal. Preinstalled Keys are volume based and more than one machine can have the same key used by the manufacturer to install Windows on them.

They computers should have stickers on them with unique Keys. Those are the ones you need to keep track of not the Volume installation Key, as you won't be able to use that key to reinstall windows.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

No matter what Keyfinder's marketing tries to tell you, it is pretty much pointless on almost all versions of W7 and above, I'm afraid (the full key is no longer stored on the PC anywhere, so there's nothing to retrieve)

Maybe the whole key isn't on an OEM computer, but it is on mine. Keyfinder, finds the whole key. Win64 ultimate full retail version.

In addition to vacunita's advice, keep in mind that many OEM reinstalls don't even prompt for the key. The setup routine (via OEM DVD or recovery partition) is modified to verify a compatible system, usually through BIOS identification, and then proceeds to install and activate Windows automatically. OEM systems are required to have a unique key labeled on the system, but this is just an FYI that you'll probably never need it.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

strognm, please elaborate. Keyfinder and Belarc seem to retrieve product keys fine for me on several OEM Win7 boxes.

>There isn't a windows 7 license sticker on the machines?

There certainly ought to be

That's what I thought, I'm going to contact Lenovo and find out where they are.

I know they are Win8 downgraded to Win7 and Win8 doesn't come with stickers, but Win7 should?

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

If a computer comes downgraded from 8 to 7 (directly from the factory) then you WON'T find any sticker on the computer BECAUSE, as stated, the Windows 8 license is no longer on a COA sticker on the outside of the computer but rather it is stored in the BIOS. The OEM provided a Windows 7 key code while imaging the computer and thus no sticker for W7 either.

Technically, the OEM has paid for both a W7 & W8 license for that computer because downgrade instructions basically say that you are responsible for having a VALID W7 key code.

Link
If your OEM has not injected your product key into the BIOS on your PC, follow these steps:
Obtain genuine Windows 7 Professional or Windows Vista Business installation media and the corresponding product key. You may have to buy a full-package product copy of the Windows downgrade from a retailer.

Insert the media for the downgrade version of Windows into the PC, and then follow the installation instructions.

Type the product key when you are asked to do this. If the software was previously activated, you can't activate it online. In this case, the local Activation Support telephone number will be displayed. Call the number, and explain the circumstances. When it is determined that you have an eligible Windows license, the customer service representative will provide a single-use activation code to activate the software. Please be aware that Microsoft does not provide a full product key in this scenario.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

No, there is no COA if you downgrade. Link Here is the Lenovo information from their website explaining the digital key usage.

Right - it's sort of like you're in no man's land with no sticker.

Well Lenovo website is a waste of time, I signed up, then it won't let me contact them unless I register a product.

They then ask for a model series that the PC doesn't have, there is only the words Lenovo ThinkCentre on the box and a serial no. sticker on then back, no model series?

So I went to one of the machines and ran their 'detect my product' the installer doesn't do anything and you just go round in a loop.

So I finally found a phone number a rung them. I have been told that Windows 7 doesn't need a license sticker it's in the BIOS.

I am currently on hold while the engineer goes to find out how I get a copy of the BIOS license key, so I can record it for our BCP/DR audit process.

The engineer came back and said he can't give me my Windows license as it is embedded in the BIOS. When I asked him to explain how a Windows 7 license was embedded in the BIOS that is different to the license installed and activated on the machine, that is a duplicate license, he couldn't answer me.

Basically we have been ripped off by Lenovo, been given computers with no software disks, and no valid license keys.

I have banned the CEO from ever buying Lenovo products again, never had such a merry-go-round with licensing Windows!

It's not like they are the cheapest option, we have plenty of ZooStorm, cheap and cheerful, but at least you get 3+GHZ i5, 8GB RAM and a real Windows 7 license key that can be backed up and recorded as part of my DR / BCP systems and controls audit process.

Basically we have been ripped off by Lenovo, been given computers with no software disks, and no valid license keys.

No. I don't think you understand. They can't give you your INDIVIDUAL key code IF it's embedded in the BIOS as they say. When they produced that computer, they cloned thousands of them, all with the same key code and that is the key code you pick up when running a key code finder. It is NOT the key code in the BIOS.

There is nothing wrong or strange here. You would find the same situation with other manufacturers, so banning Lenovo is a knee-jerk reaction accomplishing nothing.

Well this is the first time I have purchased a computer from an MF that has duplicate license keys, as mentioned, we have several Fujitsu, Toshiba, ZooStorm, Dell, HP etc. and I have never had a problem obtaining the Windows license key and it has never been the same on two identical make / model machines.

What use is a license key in a BIOS I can't access on a fried motherboard?

With a key, I replace the mobo, and re-install windows, or again a dead HDD, I put in my Windows 7 Pro OEM disc and use the relevant license key (who wants MF bloatware from a restore partition anyway!), but I need to know what my key is.

>they are Win8 downgraded to Win7

Ah, missed that originally.

1DMF,

First of all, in the event you have to replace the motherboard, you would be required to use an OEM version of the motherboard in order to adhere to the OEM license. Switching to an aftermarket motherboard would violate the OEM license, and in turn, your right to reinstall it. Sticking with an OEM motherboard would allow the OEM reinstall procedure to work successfully without prompting for a key. The replacement board would have the appropriate identification that the setup routine is looking for. Remember, this isn't a "key" per se. The modified Windows setup you run from DVD or from the hidden partition checks for an identifier embedded in the BIOS, which is shared by all of the OEM motherboards that work in a specific model.

Furthermore, HP, Dell, and other manufacturers have been doing this for a very long time, as far back as 2008. It was always policy to include a COA sticker with a product key on computers (which is what you were accustomed to), but lighter Microsoft restrictions in recent years is allowing vendors to move away from that requirement. I seriously doubt that the trend will stop at Lenovo and wouldn't be surprised if some of the other big names are already doing the same thing.

Really what needs to change at this point is your expectations. There's no need to record keys when you know the OEM setup routine won't require one. If you're worried about a clean install, then realize that Lenovo should provide you a method to perform one. I haven't worked with that company personally, but I imagine for a nominal fee they could send you a Win 7 OEM DVD. Either that, or they could tell you how to perform a clean install from the restore partition if it's an option.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Since when have I not been able to replace a failed piece of hardware in my machine?

I've never known that to be an OEM requirement. If I build a PC for myself with a particular mobo and buy Windows OEM for it, as is my right as a registered system builder, and the mobo fries, I will replace it with what is available, which may not be the original mobo, if no longer in production.

I have done this many times, and never had a problem re-installing windows,not even if I've had to use the activation hotline, but have always had to use a windows key. - hardware fails, MS can bite me if they think I'm buying another copy of the OS just because a hardware component has died.

This is my hardware, and I am purchasing a license to use their software, that is all.

Not sure what OEM specific mobo you believe MSI, Gigabyte, Asus etc have sold me over the years, but it has never contained an OS key / license, what ever it's now called, not even the one I built last year for Christmas, should it have?

I had to install windows from my windows disc and use the key that came with it?

^^^^^Well said cdogg.^^^^^^^^^^^

Remember, this isn't a "key" per se. The modified Windows setup you run from DVD or from the hidden partition checks for an identifier embedded in the BIOS, which is shared by all of the OEM motherboards that work in a specific model.
I think this is a very good point, just to be technically correct and yet maybe not relevant to the OP's happiness. There is a likely a string that is read and it passes a test, then proceeds.

I posted a while back Link about an HP that was licensed for 8 but shipped with 7. Hard drive died and I had to use their (included) recovery disk set or else I would have been hosed because - no Windows 7 or Windows 8 COA on the computer.

So, yes, there is a REAL issue if the manufacturer does NOT include a recovery DVD. That would be a reason to CHOOSE a specific vendor over another.

Isn't this whole discussion a bit moot when you think that Windows 10 will be free and you can do a fresh install if a hard drive dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back