Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two Basic Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

danrocha

IS-IT--Management
Apr 7, 2008
GB
Hi Everyone,

1. I have created a site within sharepoint and would like to add some free form text to describe the page. I want to be able to just type in what I want to be displayed, but I can find no way of doing this. All I seem to be able to do is add Announcements or Events and this is not letting me do what I want.

2. Is there a way that the Shared Folders document library that I created for the main site page, can be available to be added to other sites within sharepoint?

Many thanks in advance,

Dan

1) Add a 'Content Editor' web part and adjust the appearance, layout and advanced tabs to display it how you'd like.

2) If you mean copying your actual documents, that sort of defeats the purpose of having them in your site. They can always add a link from their site directly to the document page(s) in your site. Or is that not what you meant?

Greg
"Personally, I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

Thanks Greg,

Point 1 I understand, although I get a rich text editor error each time I try and do this.

Point 2 - my question is if I have a single document that I want to share with two depts who both have their own sites. I want to put this document in a shared documents library that is accessible to both sites - is this possible?

Thanks again,

Dan

The answer to the 2nd question is no. However, there are 3rd party tools out there that allow you to roll-up lists and libraries into one central page

hi Dan,

Found this which might help

"One of the new features in Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 and Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 is the ability to extend a document library to support multiple content types. (Content types are groups of settings that you can apply to a category of SharePoint content to help you
organize content in a more meaningful way.) One of the built-in content types is Link to a Document. This content type lets you store a title and URL to an existing document in either that document library or a different one."

This is the source link:

Have a look.

Tusk

Dan, most sites have a description block in their Properties page. This text shows up as a subheading. Would this work for you?

Phil H.
-----------
A virtual machine ate my accounting data. I transferred it to a physical box, then I beat it to smithereens with a sledgehammer. I feel better.

For question 2, have you ever thought of just creating a Document Workspace and inviting those groups to the workspace. You can add a link to each groups site that will direct them to the Doc Workspace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back