Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two 3 mbps bonded circuits into IAD 2431 - WIC Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshmc

Technical User
Mar 21, 2005
US
Hello All,

I'm hoping that someone can help shed some light on this scenario for me - we're having a dispute with the provider over this:

Trying to implement pbxi/voip using IAD 2431 - there are 2 separate circuits coming in 1 voice, 1 data each at 1.5 mbps. The vendor sent the IAD with a single WIC (1 DSU T1 V2)and this router only has one WIC slot. They INSIST that we do not need a dual WIC, that the other circuit will go into one of the T1 / E1 ports, but they're not sure which one and the router docs show that these ports are for output to the pbx. I have never heard of this before and never seen 2 circuits on any router other than with a dual WIC.

Is this possible? Please help.

Thanks, J

Bottom line is if you have two circuits on site you need two T1 csu/dsu wics. Other wise how would create a path for your dual application. Do you have a drawing on this?
Who is the provider? What brand of circuits do you have? IE frame, point to point etc etc....

“Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all”

CCNA,CCNP,CIPT, Network+
Tek-TIP Member 19,650
[americanflag]

Hi Jeter,

Thanks for the reply. I agree that without a dual WIC, it does not seem feasible. The provider is Broadwing and the circuits are ISDN & frame. The voice is signaled as a PRI NI2.

The router has the following interfaces:

T1/E1 0/1
T1/E1 1/1

Single WIC - 1 T1 DSU V2 (single slot, no expansion bays)
1 compact flash slot

FastEthernet 0/0
FastEthernet 0/1

Console rj48
aux rj48

Any help is greatly appreciated!

So, if I'm understanding correctly, you have two T1's terminated in your building. One T1 is for Data and one T1 is for Voice. I'm sure the Voice T1 is a T1-PRI. If your PBX is PRI enabled, you can just plug the T1-PRI from the smart-jack into the PBX. The Data T1 will go into the router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back