Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tweaking text [picture example of what I'm trying to do] 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll need Illustrator 10 for this. Type your text, switch to the selection tool, and go to Object > Envelope Distort > Make With Warp...

There are a few styles here, you'll probably need 'Arc Upper'.

Ahhh man I only have Illustrator 9.

Is there a plugin I can get that will do it?

I have Photoshop 6 and I can do an effect in there which is not 100% the same but is pretty close, but when I try and get it into Illustrator the quality is too bad for print. I tried exporting as a transparent image as a .psd and then even a .png but both had really rough cruddy edges.

Is there anyway to make the file in Photoshop and get it into Illustrator [it would have to have a transparent background because I am placing it over a gradient] and have it high enough quality for print without any cruddy edges???

The only way to ensure that whatever you do in PS can be printed well is by ensuring that you start with a really high resolution. Minimum of 300dpi. To get clean edges and a transparent background, you will need to make a clipping path with the Pen tool. But this sounds like a lot of work around text.

My other suggestion is to manipulate each letter in AI. Open the image you showed in the link in AI. Lock the layer and then create a new layer. With the Pen Tool, create a path that follows the curve of the tops of the letters. Give it a colour and point size so you can see it easily, then lock the layer. On another new layer, type your text and convert to outlines. Then click on the upper anchor points in each letter and pull them up to the path you created. When you are happy with it, unlock and delete the layers with the original image and the path.

Thanks for that Eggles, that was really helpful :)

I think I will do it that way ...

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back