Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tweak windows 2003 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

deliyurek007

Vendor
May 7, 2009
NL
Hi Guys,

I have a qeustion what is the best things and options to tweak your windows 2003 server. What is need is more power on Network memorry and make the server faster.
What kind a tweaks are very usefull so that i can use it on windows 2003 server.

Does anybody now and can help me about this qeustion.

For starters what version of 2003 are you running? If it is just standard it will only see 4 gigs of memory. If it is maxed then do so, also how many hard drives are installed and what RAID? If you have a separate partition move the SWAP File to a different partition. If it is doing many roles like DC, DNS, DHCP and Terminal Server that will slow it down.

I am using differenyt platforms like Windows 2003 32 bits and 64 bits.
It is a standard edition not standard R2.
I am using with 2 harddisk with raid 1.
It is a HP proliant 360 G5 / G6 models.
I am using 2 nics on board and 4 ports PCI Intel card.
On board is more of internal (management interface) and the PCI card is more for extern (outside conection)
What i want to make it that also on network card also on system (windows) also on bios that i can make the server fast what it can be.
Like think more about performance speed etc..

Maybe you have ideas so that i can make it faster to disbale services put regsitry entry's or disable something on bios.

regards,
deliyurek007

Well the 64Bit will see the max memory of that server, so if it can takes 16gigs then you can add it. As for performance check you apps to see what might be slowing it down, look at task mgr it is a quick resource for performance.

What you really haven't clarified is exactly how and what is slow. I am assuming it is just a server but is there network issues that users are having? Even in your description you still didn't specify if you have a domain, DNS running or DHCP on any of these servers. There are many things that can cause performance issues from a simple bad cable to a virus to a bad drive on a server.

I have a domain controller with DNS and DHCP. Everything is working nicly. On the server what i have is also working without any problems.
I will make the server faster only for that application whats installed on the server it self.

The thing what i want to know is on the normally way what kind a tweaks can i use for the server standard so what is not needed to disabled it.

I have a example like;
Disable unnecessary Services ( Automatic Updates, Error Reporting Service)
Optimize the pagefile.
Disable Paging Of Core Files etc etc etc..

Thats what i want to know. What kind a more tweaks are avaible so that i can have a look for that.

Sorry maybe i was not so clear.

The best thing you can do on each server is max out the memory and as mentioned earlier move swap file and increase the size please look at this.

Also if one server is doing DC, DNS and DHCP move DNS and DHCP to the other server...break up what each server does. The more you divide up the service between other servers the better the performance. If you have 3 servers the one server for each service. Also review this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back