Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tweak Install to SAVE time?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beth20

Technical User
Sep 27, 2004
US
Hey all,

XP is very annoying to install. Why?

Cause you think it's intalling, but it's waiting
at some stupid screen for you to set time, etc.

Anyway to tweak this - just to install fully,
and fill out junk later?

thanks

Beth

There are 2 ways of doing this:

1. Create one machine exactly as you want, then create a network installation point using RIS (remote installation services). You can set up the network configuration, settings etc which get picked up during install.

2. Create your own install CD for XP, which you can then use to install each workstation. You can customise available software, service pack level, system configuration etc. This is known as slipstreaming.

Trouble is, unless you are rolling out a lot of PC's, setting these things up takes time and you may find it quicker to do it by hand if you aren't doing lots.

Both systems are documented on this site and on the Microsoft one. I suggest searching for threads and FAQs on it if you are interested.

John

jrbarnett (Programmer) Oct 10, 2004
There are 2 ways of doing this:

...........WOW EVERYONE HERE is so cool! you
always have every angle.

1. Create one machine exactly as you want, then create a network installation point using RIS (remote installation services). You can set up the network configuration, settings etc which get picked up during install.

2. Create your own install CD for XP, which you can then use to install each workstation. You can customise available software, service pack level, system configuration etc. This is known as slipstreaming.

Trouble is, unless you are rolling out a lot of PC's, setting these things up takes time and you may find it quicker to do it by hand if you aren't doing lots.

Both systems are documented on this site and on the Microsoft one. I suggest searching for threads and FAQs on it if you are interested.

John

bcastner (IS/IT--Manageme) Oct 10, 2004

.............dang! That is super super complicated bcastner ! Even if I commited to it, I dont know if I could get it to work.

quick questions:

1. I refuse to use SP2, ( firewall and virus
do fine for me )

2. Can you use just SP1?

3. How can that whole maze of install AND
programs fit on one CD?

4. What about programs that write protection
to the MBR?

thanks

Beth

oh yeah, looks like just sp1 will work.

Beth

People create single unattended CDs that contain SP1 or SP2, entire software suites such as Office, etc.. It is not only possible to do but not in practice all that hard.

You might prefer these approaches (I do not):

Let me take this opportunity to disagree a bit with "1. I refuse to use SP2, ( firewall and virus do fine for me )"

Sp2 contains 1,290 files, of which over 1,000 have nothing to do with the Firewall or Security measures. SP2 does not contain an antivirus component. For example, nothing in this list of fixes for SP2 involve AV or the firewall:
Reconsider your stance on Service Pack 2.

[Reconsider your stance on Service Pack 2.]

Okay, I will. I thought it was mainly security
stuff.

Sounds like it might fix alot of USB problems I note xp has.

Beth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back