Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tweak 56K modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterchicker

Programmer
Mar 10, 2004
US
Hi,
I have a 56K internal modem. Could anyone teach me tweaks, tips and tricks to improve my connection.

There is a section here specifically for modem problems. "Communications Rack - General Modem Discussion". But modemsite.com also has useful info.
.bh.

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. -- Thomas Paine.

I dont know if this will work:

Go to the Modem Settings and look for an option that says "Run Command" or somethin like that, and then there type "X0" (without the "), then restart the machine...

What it does is that it puts your modem to run at 128Kbps instead of 56Kbps, inproving bandwith by a little, but supported by some ISP, not all of them.

I've tried with 3 ISP, and just one worked out, the other ones didnt do nothing. So try that and see if it works with your modem and your ISP.

The thing that slows you down the most is bad (noisey) telephone lines. You can get your local telephone company to check your line for noise. Getting then to fix it can be a futile job sometimes. Also, the ISP you use can be a problem. Some have better through-put than others.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back