Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TVS50 as Standalone Answer machine 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

crobg

MIS
Jun 12, 2004
US
I am helping a non-profit organization that thought they were buying a standalone voicemail system (Panasonic KX-TVS50). They currently have one phone line that a volunteer answers. Since the volunteer is only part time she is calling people back on basic questions that could be answered by an auto-attendant. That is why they purchased the equipment. They had hoped that they could use the equipment to setup an answering machine/auto-attendant/auto-information line setup. Basicly someone could call listen to a menu, have questions to commonly asked questions answered or leave a message. The volunteer would then clear the messages daily and return them.

I am doing the setup as a favor to my parents. In reading the installation guide it seems that the system requires a PBX, Key system or some other type of phone system. Is this correct or can we connect the CO line directly to the system to accomplish what we are looking for?

This System requires a PBX or a Key system to work

Does anyone know where can a get a used 1 station system that is compatible? It does not need to be digital or completely intergrated.

Look on Ebay for a small key system, panasonic will work better but most systems will give you some kind of service

Whoa there...The TVS-50 will do this without a KSU/PBX/KEY System. It acts just like a single line phone. It does come factory default looking for a KX-TA624 Version Y581A or higher.

The TVS-50 installation manual says:

Port Settings...
There is no need to change these in a typical installation. Only change these parameters when using a CO (central office) line directly to the KX-TVS50.

I have only installed the 50 with a Digital Panasonic system. I would do quick setup and define the PBX as an older system. It defaults to the kx-ta624.
Then go onto port service and tell it to answer port 1 day as custom 1. Then call that port (from a cell phone and when it answers enter #6 *998 5 4 1 to record custom #1.
This is assuming you have hooked up a terminal. Use hyperterminal with a 9 pin null modem, be sure to set you properties to handshaking=none!
You can't get into mailbox 998 if hyperterminal is logged in. So back out with the \ key (or is it /?), till you get the > symbol. Go luck...

I can't seem to be able to get connect through hyperterminal. I have it set to 9600,8,N,1. I have tried all three hand-shake combinations. (Hardware, software and none.) I am using a RS-232C cable with a Null Modem adapter that is brand new. The terminal emulation is set to vt100.

I set the dip-switches to setting 5 (1=1,2=0,3=1,4=0) and connect the HyperTerminal. A message flashes up on the screen stating:
Checking Flash Memory Cards.
Please wait...
then all I get is a > prompt. Per the mannual a warning should appear stating that I should set the dip-switches back to the normal position before continuing and a menu should appear. Am I missing a step?

yep after you set switches back you should see
> hit enter a few times!!

I have followed the directions on the site and it did not work. Thanks all for your suggestions and help. I will be contacting a local dealer for assitance as I have probably done some damage to the unit.

Still not working. Everything unit acted like it was supposed to when I had the wrong cable (power light flashed after a minute or so after power on) and when I did get the right cable no flashing power light and now menu at the HT screen. I still am only getting the > prompt. I have built a cable per the installation manuall and am getting the same resaults. Thanks again for all of the help.

sounds like a bum unit!! you are using 9600,N,8,1 and
no flow control with vt 100 emulation on hyperterminal right?

** Update **
Sent back the old one and I can get into the programing mode of the new one just fine. I should be able to get it from here. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back