Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

max1565

Technical User
Dec 16, 2002
US
I am brand new to programing and visual fox pro. I am trying to write a program that will be used for tracking trust funds in my office. It will track property addresses, clients, agents, deposits, with drawals, etc.

Does anyone know of a tutorial that takes you through the entire creation process using a simple database as i have described?

Thanks

Thanks for your reply Mike. That is a bit much for me. A lot of reading. I am one to learn by doing, instead of reading. Thats why i need a tutorial.

Thanks

as you are brandnew to VFP I wholeheartedly Welcome you to the community of Foxers. No doubt you will find the fox community worthwhile and helpful in many ways!

as to your Question
go step by step[idea],

first, set up your development environment.
I suspect that you are not using a framework of any kind yet. Don't worry, that'll come later.

For this project I suggest that you make a folder for the project and subfolders for the components like data, forms, menus, classlibs, reports et cetera.

Next, Collect information on the data you need, maybe pen and paper will do a good job here. Things like, what data do I need, what type of data is that et cetera. Read the helpfile on creating tables and datatypes to give you a clue.

Try to group that data as logically as can be. Those groups will be your tables.

also, try to find connecting fields between those tables. They are the probable sources for indexes.

Next create, in the database folder your database.

I will keep an eye on this thread for any further questions you might have.

In the next step we will start with creating your own classes (and extend them later on if needed!)

Boudewijn.Lutgerink@foxite.com www.foxite.com[thumbsup2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back