Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

turning photoshop design into webpage

Status
Not open for further replies.

mspeppa19

IS-IT--Management
Sep 26, 2002
US
I just need a little advice. I design webpages using photoshop, because I like how much creativity you can have. After I design my page I just save the image as a .jpg and I open macromedia dreamweaver and i put the image in the file. I then proceed to use mapping points for my links. I understand the concept of HTML but I do not know how to take my image i designed in photoshop and then transfer it into dreamweaver via HTML. For example if I ever wanted to add any forms or like a "Today's date" dynamic field I couldn't do it. What I do now is everyday I open photoshop, change the date, and resave it (yes really time consuming) So pretty much anyone know of some good tutorials I could read into about turning photoshop designs into ACTUAL webpages? I know how to create slices and all that good stuff (i usually break up my images anywayz so it loads "faster") hehe, yea please don't laugh, just help!

Peppaaa

What you really need to do is to learn some basic HTML. This is the best way to make your web pages "dynamic" (to a point) and you can increase the load time of your pages by eliminating unnecessary graphics. Also, this is first. best way to put forms on your pages as well. There are about a zillion online tutorials for HTML - just google for HTML Tutorials and see for yourself.

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

I would highly recommend that you check out w3schools.com. It has an excellent tutorial on HTML, and also the one on CSS is a good one.

You might want to read the tutorial or help section for ImageReady. Or look for tutorials for Photoshop that tell you how to slice an image. You will probably not want to have one large image on your web page, as the entire image would have to load before the page is navigatable, and people on a slow dial-up connection will probably abandon the site before it is loaded.

When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

I am in sort of the same situation you are..and have gotten the same (great) advice, so I am working on learning HTML and so on..I will continue to work(play) and incorporate new knowledge as I obtain it. anyway..you might find this site helpful...

Heather

Learning HTML really isn't as hard as you may think. Even us "creative types" can pick it up very easily. I taught myself (mostly by looking at other people's code) and now I consider myself fluent in HTML/CSS and pretty darn good with JavaScript.

Good luck. You'll find that once you know HTML you can be just as loose and creative as you are in photoshop. And eventually, you can take those great layouts you make in photoshop and slice them up to bring into an HTML document so your pages will load faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back