Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Turning a Bitmap into a vector 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokisfenris

Technical User
Oct 30, 2004
US
In my digital applications class, I have to take a photograph (I chose to use my dog) and turn it into a vector image. Using photoshop, I've reduced it to 15 colors, and may have to go down even further, I need to know, after this file is transferred into illustrator, how do I cut it up into individual vectors (each area should be it's own vector by color, obviously I can have multiple vectors of any color. I can also have as many vectors as I want, the more the better, actually.) I know that I can select anything of the same color with the magic wand, so I assume that it will involve using the magic wand. Can two area that are 100% seperate be made into one vector? Is it possible to join areas of one color together to form one vector and then make this so that it's not visible on the finished product? If necessary, I can put up the picture of my dog that I am going to use. Thank you very, very much to anyone who can help me.

it must be monday, because my head cant follow your question, but I understand that u want to do a lot of creative work. To be able to do alot of tricks and stuff u shuld play with layers.
if u want just one color: in the top meny "select/color range" pic a color and go to the path/make selection/clip path. when u have done this go to the meny and export path to illustrator, then u will have vector graphics.
there might be other ways to do this, but play a litte in the path selection and I am sure u will make it

Nexsus

I don't think that this was how we did it in class, but whatever works, works, right? I'll try your advice and let you know if it works. Thank you very much. Does anyone else know how to do this?

OK, let me explain this again. I took a digital picture of my dog, put it onto Adobe Photoshop and reduced the colors down to just 15 colors. Now, each individual area of any one color needs to be made into an individual vector, obviously colors will repeat so there will be more than one vector of any one color. How do I select an area of say brown, and then make it into a vector? I'll try Nexsus' advice, and hopefully it will work. Thank you Nexsus and anyone else that responds to this post.

Normally, something like this is handled by Adobe Streamline, or a similar program. Flash can also do it. If you want to do it manually, then Nexsus' suggestion is probably about the best way to do it.

Well, like I said, I will try Nexsus' advice and I'll let everytone know if it works. Unfortunately, I don't have Streamline of Flash (I've never even heard of Streamline), And in either case, this is for a class, so I do need to stick to Photoshop and Illustrator. Thank you for the advice, Blueark.

Streamline is an old Adobe product (OS9) which is used for converting raster images to vector images. It is especially useful for converting linework from drawings into vectors - my partner often does her cartoons this way.

I don't use Macs, by the way. PC for me! Cartoons? I think I smell a web comic, where is it?

For PC's there is a program crom Corel called Trace. Never used it myself, but i hear it does the same sort of conversion.

I heard through the grapevine that the next version of illustrator (due around March?) is going to include Streamline's technology. Hopefully there's some truth to it...

Wow, really? That would be awesome! But how much more expensive do you think it'll become? The two of you that recently posted, thanks for the response, but I originally asked the question a long time ago! I have already figured it out and the class that I needed it for is already over! But thank you nonetheless.

I don't think it'll affect the price any more than usual. Illustrator CS integrated Adobe Dimensions, but they didn't really advertise it as such. They simply announced that one of the new features in CS would be 3D capabilities. I'd imagine they'll do the same with Streamline.

Remember, though, it's only hearsay at the moment, so don't quote me on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back