Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Turned down by the phone company and dont know why

Status
Not open for further replies.

mukluk123

Technical User
Jul 11, 2002
US
About 2 weeks ago I signed up for DSL and I was told that my activation date would be in 2 weeks. Well a day before my activation date they told me that my line will not supposrt DSL. So after repeated calls to my phone company and to the DSL company (both are SBC but for some reason they have no clue about the other) theyve told me that i dont have the standard copper wire that is required. I live in an apartment building and i am aware of at least 5 people in this building that have DSL from the same company. If anyone could shed some light on what I can do to be able to support DSL. Is it just the wiring from my apartment to the punchdown or what? And if so why would my wiring be different than others in the same building? Cable is not available here either so this is my only option for broadband.

Hi there,

Unfortunately, this happens every now and then because of various reasons. You might be on loaded cable, which can be in 1/2 a building and the other half is not.

There is not much you can do, except maybe order a new line, specify that it is for DSL access, but your TELCO will not garantee that it will work.

Good luck,

bdahl

Hi,

I oversee the deployment of DSL with a local phone company. I would get the specific address and phone number of the closest neighbor and contact the phone company again. They could have made a mistake.

There is the possibility that some of the units in your complex are fed on Subscriber Carrier or Pair Gain systems. DSL wont work on them. Don't give up till they give you a clear explanation. At the very least the company should be able to put you on a waiting list in case one of your neighbors vacates his DSL line in the building. If they will not give you a satisfactory answer call your states Public Utility Commision to see if they will can help you.

I hope this helps
Rick

yeah i found out through much time and effort that im on a digital gain pair. I dont know much about these things except that its basically a digital line over copper. So in other words that means they would have to rerun me an entire new line. And this is assuming that there is copper left in the line to put me on. a technitian for the phone company told me that they couldnt remove me from it for whatever reason. so I guess my only options are dialup cause cable isnt offered here either. thanks for your help though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back