Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Turnaround maps

Status
Not open for further replies.

edimpact

MIS
Feb 17, 2004
US
HI

I need to send the EDI 820 directly to our AR database which takes EDI file but with different delimiters. So I need to convert the EDI file from different customers into standard EDI file format with same delimiters. I m thinking turnaround map is the solution. If so can anyone tell me the procedure to do that. It will be agreat help to me.

Thanks in advance.

Using Ascential's DataStage TX, you could use the SUBSTITUTE function on the file and change the delimiters from the original to what is needed. To handle multiple delimiters, you would use what we call a ROUER map that would find the delimter used and call a different RUN map that would have the correct SUBSTITUTE set, or you could use nested SUBSTITUTE's in the map rule.

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

Hi,

I'm not sure what o/s your on, but if you can write a script or program you can do this like I did. Basically here's what I did:

Since the ISA segment is a fixed length (106 I think) you can determine what the element separator is by looking at the 4th char (ISA?...)and what the segment terminator is by parsing the 106'th char. Once you have those two characters you can use a command or program to substitute the two characters for something std (ex "*" and newline).

In unix I wrote a shell script to do this using th 'tr' command. Works well as long as all the separators are the same withing a given file.

Lee

It depends on your translation software. Under Gentran a turnaround translation is meant to go back to the original sender. I've used it to by manipulating the outbound document to send documents to a third party. A better solution (with Gentran) would be to map the inbound 820 to a 820 export map (not turnaround) and define the delimiters you require. You can also drop any segments or elements your A.R. system doesn't require.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back