Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Turn Up The Volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomco22

Technical User
Sep 16, 2000
US
Is there a way to un-mute and max the speaker volume from within Access? My user gets an alarm if he does not do some thing (task) every 15 minutes.

Tom

Unless this is for a dedicated system (like a kiosk) that is used solely for running this program, user settings such as display, audio, etc., should not be tampered with. It is disrespectful and even potentially dangerous - maybe the user has a very good reason for muting his sound. I would consider any program that takes such liberal actions with my personal settings as malware and uninstall it immediately.

Joe Schwarz
Custom Software Developer

Any chance they have to type the sequence of numbers?
4 8 15 16 23 42

Agree with JoeAtWork and Remou. However, what I would also add to this is that if you have a repetitive task that has to be run every 15 minutes, can this be automated - if not through Access, then through an operating system or database server scheduled task?

John

To add to my previous post, even if you find a reliable mechanism to provide an audible alert every 15 minutes, there's a way around this: turn off the speakers (or disconnect the audio cable).

John

Rather some strong reactions.
This is a government computer in a government facility with a sometimes chaotic environment. This particular terminal is used exclusively to monitor foreign detainees. It is vital that I get someone's attention every 15 minutes. If someone has turned the volume down on the "nuisance" computer and too much time goes by... bad things can happen.
I know how to set off an audible alarm every 15 minutes but I assume from the comments that there is no way to reset the volume and mute from within Access.

Tom

If you need an alarm to infallibly ring every 15 minutes, I am not sure that Access is the thing to use, Access is generally not recommended for 'mission critical' applications. You may wish to read but I do not believe that it will offer the level of certainty that seems essential for your situation. Perhaps you could consider an alarm company?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back