Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Turn OFF Win XP Pro DHCP? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsams

Programmer
Aug 22, 2000
US
Just built new machine and loaded Win XP Pro, clean install. Trying to add the machine to existing network using LinkSys router which is assigning IP address.

Looks like the XP machine has DHCP set "ON" as default, but I sure can't figure out how to turn "OFF". Have XP TCP/IP protocol set for "Obtain IP" and "DNS" addresses automatically, but when I click on "Advanced" button", "IP Settings" tab, it shows "DHCP Enabled". Looking at the properties for the network connection:

IP address 169.254.111.77
Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0

My LinkSys router is assigning addresses in 192.168.1.1xx range. Unable to ping either from existing network machines or from XP machine. XP machine is setup for right Workgroup Name, altho noticed XP only allows entry of all upper case and on network the machines show only first letter upper cased??

Any help would be appreciated. BTW The switch I have connected to the output of the router indicates XP connection is 100mbs but the Link/Act lite blinks continuously??

John

Go to the place where the tcp/ip settings were and set the IP address there instead of getting the IP automatically.
Right click network neighborhood> properties> right click on the network card> properties tcp/ip>properties

The DHCP client is assigning the default ip 169.254.x.x as it cannot find a real DHCP server (in this case the Linksys). It means that there is a communication problem between the devices. Check cabling / firewall settings etc.

I would also check the link speed and duplex setting on the card in your pc. Check the cat5 cable and make sure it's ok and not a x-over as well.

Agree that you are probably experiencing wiring/connection problems if you're not getting a 192.168.1.1xx IP address.

I think your newly built XP machine (at least SP2) has firewall on by default. If you're behind a NAT router, or not connected to the web, you could disable the firewall and see if you can communicate then(after dealing with any possible wiring issues). I would NOT do this if your router does not provide a hardware firewall.

"DHCP Enabled" and "Obtain IP and DNS addresses automatically", mean the same thing. That is probably the setting you want.

Tranman

"Adam was not alone in the Garden of Eden, however,...much is due to Eve, the first woman, and Satan, the first consultant." Mark Twain

Looks like I have a few things to try this evening when I get home! Will check the cable but I suspect it is OK as I just "borrowed" it from another machine on the network that is connecting OK.

FYI SP1 or SP2 is not installed yet, have a lot of updates to apply!!

Appreciate the responses from you all, will let you know what happens.

Thanks,
John

Its working.

Sometimes it turns out to be the simplest things. I retried the network cable on another network machine and "no" connection. Found the connector on the 10/100 switch end of the cable was not seated properly.

Reconnected the XP machine and it immediately attached to the workgroup and was able to map drives from both ends. Transferring files as I type.

Thanks to all and a star to each of you. Tek-Tips is the greatest!

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back