Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Turn off touchpad in CentOS 4.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

wags2272

Technical User
Jun 3, 2005
US
I have CentOS 4.4 installed in a dual boot config on my laptop. When I plug in my usb mouse it doesn't disable the touchpad. Is it possible to disable the touchpad? If so, how?

Thanks,
Jonathan

I am not sure you can achieve that in linux. I know that you are probably used to have a windoz driver doing that for you but in linux your touchpad works according to the configuration you create in xorg.conf.

The file gets read when you start your Xwindows and you cannot have a different mouse/touchpad behavior while in the same session.
You should logout Xwindows, replace xorg.conf with another that utilises an external mouse and reload xwindows.

A script that changes the content of your xorg.conf and then loads X is not difficult to create; that could hep you.

QatQat

Life is what happens when you are making other plans.

There is a way to get it to shut off while you are typing, i am guessing this is what you want?
You will need to use the synaptics driver with your mousepad in the xorg.conf, plus you will need some ekstra features added to make it work properly.
This page should give you an idea of how to setup xorg.conf:
Then when all is setup, you need to put synaptics in your .xinitrc in you home drive, with some handles i cannot remember, i think it is synaptics -r -t 2
the -t is how long the mouse timeout should be in seconds, with the -r function, this will only affect clicking and not moving of the mouse.
I'm not sure the flags are correct, but tjeck them in your man pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back