Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

turn off lp errors displaying when logged in as root

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcbatlinux

Technical User
Mar 30, 2001
US
Anyone know of how to turn off lp errors from popping up into my telnet session when logged in as root? Obviously fixing the lp error is a good step but trying to fix it while it keeps displaying a message when logged in as root is driving me nuts!

thanks

rcbatlinux

What kind of messages are they? It's strange that they're coming up in your telnet session; if you open a second one do they come up there as well?

Check /etc/syslog.conf for any lpr.* references and comment them out perhaps.

Annihilannic.

They are messages that the system cannot communicate with the printer. I had gone in and #ed out most everything in the /etc/syslog.conf and even restarted the syslog daemon and yet it still would display on my screen the error message.

rcbatlinux

When you say "screen"... are you connected remotely through telnet? Or are you using CDE with a console window?

Try typing ps -ft pts/N and see if you have any processes running against your terminal that shouldn't be. You can find out what pseudo tty number you are on using tty.

Annihilannic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back