Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Turn Nightbell off manually

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim7jim

MIS
Sep 15, 2006
US
Is there a way to turn the Nightbell off manually without using the admin software?

I'd like the operator to be able to turn the nightbell off if she comes in early, but I don't want to change the default schedule. Is this possible through the Call manager somehow?

I know she can pick up the Nightbell, but I'm actually looking to turn it off 'temporarily'.

TIA

Shoretel 5 Release 1.2

What the heck is a night bell in the first place? I'm not familiar with this term.

When you set up a daily schedule (e.g. 8 am - 5 pm), you can set the system to goto to the nightbell after hours. This is just a tone that rings over the intercom system on an incoming phone call.

So when the operator goes home after 5 pm and someone calls in, it rings the nightbell over the intercom and then anyone in the building can answer the phone. Needless to say, while a great feature, the nightbell can be annoying when a persistent caller is trying to talk to a live person.

Is your nightbell an extension? If so, maybe something like setting her and it up in a workgroup that she is supervisor for and she can change the call handling mode to forward to her phone.

Not sure if that is even close to something that is workable, but thought I'd throw it out there...

Matt Wray

That sounds like a good idea. Yes, the Nightbell is an extension and I could set up the Nightbell to forward to the operators phone when in a "Custom" mode or "Out of office" mode.

But the problem I'm having is how do I allow the operator to change the "mode" of the nightbell? I think the admin software is far too powerful (and confusing at first) to allow operator access. Something could really be screwed up on accident.

IMO, it needs to be done through the Call manager or extension monitor. Would there be a way to install a 2nd call manager on the operator's computer so she could modify the Nightbell's calling mode?

I'm not sure if I'm doing it right, but I can't login to the Nightbell's main menu using it's extension. I'm guessing this extension is just "virtual" so maybe that's why.

Nightbell is listed under Workgroups.

This system may be too complicated for someone of my mental magnitude ... or lack thereof.

How is your system currently configured to accept incoming calls?

Thought.... If your Operator answers all incoming calls, you could just set her phone up to forward all calls to the night bell by changing her call handling mode. If it will not allow you to set her forwarding directly to the night bell, setup a route point to do it for you. So, when she comes in, she changes her call handling to standard and she gets all of her calls, after hours she sets her handling mode to custom, and they all ring over the night bell.

Work?

The nightbell is not under workgroups.... Do you have a workgroup named night bell?

We have all incoming calls come to an Operator workgroup with only one agent. If the first operator is out of office it bounces to an operators2 workgroup with another agent.

What you suggest may work so I'll give it a try. I guess I would have to change the schedule so the calls don't get routed to the Nightbell after hours.

We have a workgroup named Night Bell and all it's calls are automatically forwarded to another extension called Nightbell(headquarters). Headquarters is the name of our site.

Thanks for your suggestions.

This is how I would set it up.

I would route all calls to WG #1 with no schedule. I would set it up so that if the operator in WG 1 logs out, all calls then go to WG #2. If the operator in WG 2 logs out of the WG, then all calls go to the Night bell WG with no schedule also.

So, you then have it setup so that if Operator number one is there and logs in, she gets all the calls. If she happens to log out, all the calls would roll to Operator 2 (providing she is logged in). When Operator 2 logs out, and Operator 1 is logged out, all calls ring to the night bell. It would not need to be a workgroup anymore then either, you could just route all the calls directly to the night bell number.

If the nightbell is an extension you can control it with the web interface of Call Manager. That way they do not have to log into ShoreWare Director to make the change, they can just log onto the call manager web interface. It is available for any extension at this URL.
of course replace <shorewareserver> with the IP or DNS name of the server.

Then they can set the call handling mode quickly and easily.

The night bell is not an extension. It is just a number that is dialed to ring over the paging system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back