Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Turbo Cert

Status
Not open for further replies.

sguay

Technical User
May 15, 2002
CA
I would like to know what do you think about Turbo Cert...

is it good or not?????

Regard

sguay

I have been a web applications developer and SQL Server admin for almost a
decade now. I finally had the time and inclination to get my MCDBA so I found a
company offering a decently priced CBT system and I “ATTEMPTED” to purchase
TurboCert’s MCDBA product. Bad idea.

TurboCert took my money and the next day told me that my business email and
personal email could not be the same (or be from a large producer like hotmail,
yahoo, etc). Also, my business phone number could not be my personal phone
number. The issue with this? I am a freelance programmer. My number is my biz
number. Their response instructed me to go to their site and update information.
This is a serious issue for me as a web developer, since something this “vital”
SHOULD HAVE BEEN HANDLED AT THE USER ENTRY FORM POINT. My form should not have
been accepted and as the user I should been warned and allowed to correct! Not
days after the fact and AFTER I have been charged!!! A site that operates this
poorly casts a very poor light upon how TurbCert’s product will operate.

So, I went there AND sent them an email to their contact email box. Problem was,
TurboCert’s update information form didn’t work. It would not allow me to change
addresses and phone numbers as REQUESTED. My email received no response and they
DO NOT OFFER A CUSTOMER SERVICE NUMBER unless you’re a large volume corporate
client. Two days later I checked at their site and it said my order was
cancelled. TURBOCERT STILL HAS NOT REFUNDED MY MONEY.

I would highly suggest seeking an alternative CBT system OTHER than TurboCert
where you are not required to jump through hoops just to be DENIED and customer
service requests go unanswered. When it comes to TurboCert BUYER BEWARE!!!

<== Some people say they are afraid of heights. With me its table widths. ==>

As the corporate accounts manager for Turbosoft (TurboCert.com) I would like to set the record straight regarding the inaccurate and misleading post by Ian (iamshadyness). It is our policy, clearly outlined on our web site, that we do not accept anonymous email addresses: hotmail, gmail, etc. While this may be inconvenient for some it is a necessary fraud prevention tool.

With regard to the credit card charge: This order was cancelled and refunded within 12-24 hours. How long it took his bank to apply the credit to his card is completely out of our control.

Tom Richards
Accounts Manager
TurboCert.com

SGUAY-

I used the Turbocert windows 2003 training courses last year for my MCSE certification and they are very good. I would definitely recommend them if you are looking for good, low cost cbt courses. I also didn't have any problems with them and they've answered my emails promptly.

If money is no object, then I would look at the Keystone cbt courses. They're good and include extras like online mentoring but a complete package can easily cost $2,000+. I used some of their networking courses a couple of years ago and they were all good.

I've also used cbtnuggets, skillsoft, and netg. The cbt nuggets courses are good but I would stay away from netg and skillsoft. Their courses are little more than glorified e-books. The last company I worked for had a contract with skillsoft so I had access to their entire library. In my opinion, I would rather buy the books from barnes&noble rather than reading text off of a computer screen for hours on end.

Hope this is helpful
TB

I have used the turbocert cbt courses for windows 2003 and ccna and they are some of the better cbts in my opinion. The trainers do a good job of covering material in detail and there are many examples and graphics/diagrams to explain complicated topics. I also like the user interface and the fact that it’s easy to move forward or backward in each video/topic by as little or as much as needed. Some of the other cbts I’ve used only allowed you to jump to the beginning/end of a video or topic forcing you to re-watch the entire thing again when all I wanted was to move back a few seconds.

I finished my 5th exam for MCSE last month and the turbocert courses have done a good job of covering all the necessary material to pass each exam. I also supplement my training with a reference book (usually Sybex certification book) and transcender practice tests. The practice tests included with the turbocert courses are good but they don’t emulate the actual MS exam format. This has been the case with all the other vendor cbt courses I’ve used so I usually supplement with transcender regardless of which vendor’s cbt course I’m using.

Jerry

Weird how I keep seeing this same string of posts all over the internet on different sites. Same complaint, same reply. Some sort of robo posting going on here? weird

Anyone have a real opinion of TurboCert? Looks prety decent, and the price looks nice.

-P

======
"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care."
-Jimmy Buffett

Yeah, I'm researching the Turbosoft CBT courses and I keep seeing the same overviews of the product on different forums and it's kind of making me leery. Guess I won't be making any decisions tonight. All that for four hundred bucks, usually if it sounds to good to be true.....

hmmmm...I've never used Turbo Cert...but if you keep seeing the exact same post, then it may be an issue where some Turbo Cert is posting both in order to "promote" their product. I could be wrong tho.

I do however find it interesting that shadyness makes claims that are completely illegal. Any company that keeps a persons money without refunding it is guilty of fraud. Plain and simple. If he didn't like how it went, all he had to do was call his CC vendor and tell them he never got it and he would have gotten his money back and they would have went after TurboCert.com in his behalf.

Makes ya wonder if it's an ex-employee :)

Ok, real post here.

I have purchased the TurboCert CBT package. I find it to be pretty decent. The CBT portion so far seems to be pretty detailed. The presenter has a nice voice, and a good grasp of the topics.

The CBT player is a bit basic, and would benifit greatly with the addition of some sort of bookmark function.

Over all, I am pleased with the product.

-Paul

======
"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care."
-Jimmy Buffett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back