Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tunnel created, can't see the remote network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomahawk

Technical User
Mar 29, 2001
US
I created a tunnel with two D-Link DI-824VUP. My understanding was that once the tunnel was created then I could see my remote network as if I was directly connected to it. However when I click on My Network Places I can only see the local network. The idea behind using the VPN was to remotely view data, not modify it. Have I misunderstood the concept of VPN or am I doing something wrong? Appreciate yr comments,

Tomahawk

I have a follow up question, if besides viewing files I end up wanting to run an application from a remote location like our appointments software and view only, not edit, the appointments Am I better off using something like PCanywhere instead of a VPN?

Thx

I only have experience of Netgear vpn routers but the principals will be the same.
Make sure you've enabled Netbios to be transmitted accross the the VPN.
Also I find that by adding a static route to the server from the 'main office' router helps.
Check you can access shares by their ip address eg: \\192.168.xxx.xxx\c$

A vpn (once it is setup correctly!) WILL give you the ability to access your network in the way you want. It is a much better solution than PCAnywhere etc. I dont think you have misunderstood the concept.

Hope that gives you a starter.

Thank you, I will try this. I have already enabled NetBIOS on one side. Can u please explain more on: "Also I find that by adding a static route to the server from the 'main office' router helps." I am not an expert and need a little bit more detail.

Tomahawk

Some assistance please, I finally enabled NetBIOS in both the router and the two computers that I want interconnected but yet I cannot see my remote network. I am a frustated 'cause I see people getting this connection established and finally setting up their VPN successfully but in my case nothing seems to work.

Thx,

Jose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back