Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tty1a not dialing out, no modem Response

Status
Not open for further replies.

MediTech

MIS
Jun 3, 2003
US
tty1a is not responding to our attempts to dial out. port disabled, modem was checked & is okay, there was a lock on tty1a, which I removed. Our vendor thought that our serial board was bad, so we replaced with a WinBond 85757F, still same problem. Currently, we are putting to old board back on, I don't think that the problem is hardware I think it is something else.

I checked premissions on tty1a, all look fine, any suggestions.

I also just learned that on the modem the TR light is not on, so now I am replacing the board again - still no tr light... help... :)

If the modem is for dialing out only, the TR light won't neccessarily be on until the modem is actually attempting to dial.

If enabled for dialin as well, then tty1A would be enabled, and the TR light should be on even when modem is idle.

Did it ever work? Try a null-modem on the cable? How are you trying to dial out on the modem? Using a program, cu, uucp?

Brand/speed of modem? Baud rate setting on tty1a? Debugging serial modems can be maddening at times..

Thank you, but when we installed the 3rd board & made sure the Jumpers were correct I got the following: Warning: Serial garbage loose cable on dev 0 port shutdown then
init: command is responding to rapidly check for possible errors
id Se1a "/etc/getty tty1a m"

checked the settings in inittab and is set at (m) checked the gettydefs and the m is set at 9600 baud rate. so all looks good, what I am now thinking we did get botted of at one time recently due to storm & since I did find that lock on tty1a, perhaps that is the problem with the port. I have not done this type of support in several years, but isn't there a clean port command or something to that nature. I really think that this is the problem. We checked the board & tight, the cable is tight, all hardware okay.

Thank you. God Bless

> Warning: Serial garbage loose cable on dev 0 port shutdown

Generally after seeing this in a message log or on the console, the only way I know to work with the serial port again is to shutdown the computer, power off, power on and reboot.

The kernel is seeing spurious info coming in on tty1a and the getty (login) is respawing too fast to be realistic, so the kernel decides to shutdown the port and ignore it. Shutting down a port pretty much kills all hopes of getting it to do anything. If tty1a AND tty1A are disabled, you shouldn't see the message you show at all.

You could possibly have tty1A enabled, and the cable/modem configuration is leading unix to think DTD is high and it should send out a login prompt.

Usually a lockfile (in /usr/spool/uucp) will mean uucp wanted to be using the modem, creates the lock file so nobody else can use it during this time.

Thank you again, really appreciate all of the input. Finally got it WORKING!!! What I did was so simple. I simple made sure both tty1a & tty1A disabled, shutdown, removed the card. Booted up, again made sure that they stayed disabled eventhough no card. Shutdown, put card in & booted up. Then no tr light on modem, enabled tty1a, no error.Immediately went to dial out & now transmitting NO PROBLEM - life is good....

Thanks, again for all your insight so appreciated....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back