Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TTY Interface Option 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

kxbm4h

IS-IT--Management
Jul 29, 2010
US
We recently changed an Option 11 system and removed the expansion cabinet where I had a TTY port set up to communicate with a Lantronix MSS-100 serial data server so that I could remotely access my phone switch. We added a four port Nortel card to the system, but I am having trouble configuring it to communicate with the MSS-100. I haven't been able to find a good source for information on configuring the card, so I suspect that (or enabling the correct TTY port (which disables if powered off, don't know how to save that feature so it comes back automatically) with the correct baud rate and parity) or DTE/DCE switches on the card. Any ideas or sources would be appreciated, as the site is a long distance away from my normal work area.

I think the 4 port card will only support TTY ports on 0 and 2 but you will have different pin outs and it can be a little troublesome.

The fibre expansion TTY ports were like TTY 0 on the main cabinet.

Firebird Scrambler
Nortel Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK
Advance knowledge on BCM support

If you configure ethernet on the opt11, you could access from the network directly with rlogin....assuming you have network close by the switch. Just a thought!

30n30w

I wish I could re-configure the Ethernet, that would be the easiest solution. Our company has a national contract with a monitoring service to ensure PBX doesn't crash, so they are in and out of the system all the time. I have installed the interface card which would enable ports 0 and 2 on that card, but I do not know which TTY ports would be assigned to this card nor do I know the pin-outs of the cable (I have the cable also) to get the signal to a DB-25 RS-232 format to interface the system...

Are all of the tty ports on the octopus cable in the main cabinet used? There are 3 ports on that cable

Existing ports are used for a local system interface, and others used for an OTM admin terminal. Was trying to avoid an A/B switch from the OTM setup to a remote network setup, as I would have to get someone to flip the switch or drive two hours and do the M/A/C things locally...

What Kind of 4 port card are you talking about? SDI/DCH card?

I wish I could re-configure the Ethernet, that would be the easiest solution. Our company has a national contract with a monitoring service to ensure PBX doesn't crash, so they are in and out of the system all the time.

So is the ethernet configured for the monitoring company somehow? You can have multiple PTY ports and multiple users can be in system at the same time; I guess I don't understand what the issue with ethernet is...

Yes, a SDI/DCH card. I understand that only ports 0 and 2 can be used, and there is a DB25 connector on the cable, but I don't know the pin configuration. If I knew this and the TTY port that would be assigned to those two ports on the card, I could complete the setup on the phone system end. I have a working device that works on the Ethernet end already configured that should work.

Found pin configuration and wired connection, port 0 would not function. Moved to port 2 and enabled TTY and now working. Inspection of card shows a burned point on the card, but since I only need one port I will let it ride until I have to do something else. Thanks for all the help, guys!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back