Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TTL and Intermediary network devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrSic

Technical User
Mar 28, 2005
BE
thread581-759360
Hey Ye'all,

I'm currently taking ccna classes to get prepaired for certification. Today we were discussing the TTL topic and we wondered at what end of a (let's say) router the ttl is decremented, at the incoming interface, the routerprocess or it's outgoing interface? just for the sake of having something to talk about over a cup of coffee...

"When a router forwards a packet, it MUST reduce the TTL by at least one. If it holds a packet for more than one second, it MAY decrement the TTL by one for each second. This way, Time-to-Live is used as a time count."

(Emphasis mine)

Source: (that line is towards the bottom of the page in the paragraph titled "Time-to-Live: Does it measure time or hops?"

"You don't know what you got, till its gone..
80's hair band Cinderella or ode to data backups???

Thanks DrBOb, The 'time'-thing hadn't come up but will surely be discussed. IT Gives a new dimension to the topic in class.

No Problem DrSic,
I got a Bachelors from SIU here in IL and I don't remember ever going over the Time aspect of it, only the Hops. Maybe I wasn't paying attention that day...........

If you get stumped or looking for a good discussion topic, just bounce a post here as there are many good minds here willing to help.

"You don't know what you got, till its gone..
80's hair band Cinderella or ode to data backups???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back