Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TTF font not showing up 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pamelas

Technical User
Nov 11, 2001
AU
I'm using Office XP on Windows 98. I've downloaded a new font, village.ttf, and have placed it into the Windows/Fonts directory. It doesn't show up in either the Word or Outlook fonts directories as an option although I can open it up in File Manager (Windows exploring, whatever it's called this week). Other .ttf fonts are there.

I've looked in the Fonts folder in Control Panel and there isn't an Install option.

How do I get Word and Outlook to recognise that it exists?

Thanks guys.

In the Fonts folder under the File menu should be an entry Install New Font. That has to be used because simply copying a font to the Fonts folder doesn't install it. Try putting the font in another location and then installing it.

Also, the font won't be available to any program until it gets properly installed.

Thanks Berton but there is no Install new font option in the file menu, just those available in Windows Exploring (New, Work offline and Close).

I've noticed that the Fonts icon in Control Panel is a shortcut to C:\WINDOWS\FONTS. Would that make a difference?

Thanks.

Pamelas:

The following link may help you restore the 'Install New Font' option to your Fonts folder.

Meanwhile there is a trick that you can use as a workaround. Double click on the font to open it and leave it open (minimize to the taskbar) then open the app you wish to use (Office, etc) and the font should be available. After you are finished then close out the font.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back