Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TSM DR requirement FULL and INCR

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkc924

MIS
Aug 5, 2002
US
We are being required by out D/R leadership to do weekly full backups and daily incrementals using Tivoli TSM. I have gotten some documentation from Tivoli with step to do, and they do not work. They are lacking in the help area because they say Tivoli does not support doing fulls and incrementals. So be it - I still am required to make this work! Can anyone help? I need to do full backup on Sunday and incrementals Mon-Sat. I have a couple hundred clients they want this accomplished for. Thanks in advance...

You need to be looking at progressive incremental backup.

IBM defines progressive incremental as a backup cycle that only backs up new or changed data eliminating the need to ever do a full backup, and eliminating the overhead of full backups and their dependent incremental ordifferential backups.

TSM offers progressive incremental backup, while other product still offer their customers full plus incremental/differential backups. Progressive backup reduces the amount of data that has to be sent, thus requiring less network bandwidth, less time, and less storage. Most importantly, progressive backup results in faster restores because less data has to be restored.

Take a look at

Mike

"A foolproof method for sculpting an elephant: first, get a huge block of marble, then you chip away everything that doesn't look like an elephant."

I haven't used TSM for a couple of years, but you can run incrementals. I just don't recall off the top of my head.

We are already running incrementals on all 375 clients and have been for a few years. The issue is that along with the incrementals, they now want a full backup done weekly on each client also.

Tsm is not designed that way. Why not do a mksysb for the full backup. It would help in a baremetal restore. You could have tsm schedule a mksysb script to do the backup. Your clients must be thinking the old way of backups. Where you had full backups every week and tapes recycle 1 a month to start over. Tsm will only do a full the first time you backup.

I do realize that TSM is not designed that way. I have been working with it for a while now. Unfortunately management wants full weekly backups. No excuses, not open to any other ideas. I have tried several things and I can either get a full all the time or incrementals. I can not get it to switch from one to the other. I have used policy domains with 2 different management classes (one full, one incremental) and it just is not working for me. I know there is a way to do it. IBM even says so but no one can give me a tip on how to proceed. I need HELP!
THANKS.

The first time you run a full incremental backup, Storage Manager backs up all the files and directories on the file systems you specify. This process can take a long time if there are a large number of files, or one or more very large files. Subsequent full incremental backups will only back up new and changed files. This allows the backup server to maintain current versions of your workstation files, without having to waste time or space by backing up files that already exist in server storage. Depending on your storage management policies, the server may keep more than one version of your files in storage. The most recently backed up files are active backup versions. Older copies of your backed up files are inactive versions. However, if you delete a file from your workstation, the next full incremental backup will cause the active backup version of the file to become inactive. If you need to restore a file you have deleted, and if a full incremental backup has been run since you deleted the file, then you will need to restore an inactive version of the file (assuming that a version still exists on the server). The number of inactive versions maintained by the server and how long they are retained is governed by the management policies defined by your server administrator. The purpose of the active versions is to represent what files existed on your file system at the time of the backup.

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back