Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TSM & 3581 Tape Library

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkkie

IS-IT--Management
Mar 11, 2003
US
I am installing Tivoli Storage Manager 5.1 with a single 3581 Ultrium Tape Library on AIX 4.3.3. I have successfully defined the library, the path to the server, the drive, and the path to the drive. (See commands below). Yet, when I go to label the tapes in the library, I keep getting 0 volume(s) labeled, 0 volume(s) checked-in. (see command below) Any suggestions? Also, any tips on an easy way to rotate tapes in this library with only 7 I/O loader slots would be appreciated.

DEFINE LIBRARY 3581lib_lb LIBTYPE=SCSI SHARED=no
DEFINE PATH tsm1_srv 3581lib_lb SRCTYPE=SERVER
DESTTYPE=LIBRARY DEVICE=/dev/smc0 ONLINE=YES
DEFINE DRIVE 3581lib_lb 358100_dr ONLine=yes ELEMent=82
CLEANFREQuency=ASNEEDED
DEFINE PATH tsm1_srv 358100_dr SRCType=SERVer
DESTType=DRive LIBRary=3581lib_lb DEVICE=/dev/rmt1
ONLINE=YES

label libvol 3581lib_lb search=yes labelsource=prompt checkin=scratch overwrite=yes

Tkkie,

Did you checkin you libvolumes first. And what error code returns the server. For more information on checkin your Libvolumes enter "help checkin libv" at the commandline

This issue has been resolved. The checkin libvol command was correct, but the tape library had hardware issues. Once IBM came out and corrected, the checkin was successful. Thanks to everyone who responded.

Hi! tkkie
I got same issue in TSM 5.1 with 3583 library. I just want to know how IBM to resoled the hardware issue. Thanks and waiting your respondence

Hi cameltower!
We had a faulty robot to move the tapes. Basically it would periodically not move tapes appropriately, so an IBM CE came on-site and replaced the library unit with a new one. Now it works just fine. It was under warranty which helped considerably.

Thanks tkkie
ok! you got hardware trouble, I think my issue is about software. I install TSM 5.1 with 3583 library, I config the storage device like below:
define libr 3583lib libt=scsi shared=no
DEFINE PATH server 3583LIB SRCTYPE=SERVER DESTTYPE=LIBRARY DEVICE=/dev/smc0 ONLINE=YES
DEFINE DEVCLASS 3583class DEVTYPE=LTO FORMAT=DRIVE LIBRARY=3583LIB MOUNTLIMIT=DRIVES MOUNTRETENTION=60 ESTCAPACITY=360G MOUNTWAIT=60
DEFINE DRIVE 3583LIB 3583drv1 ELEMENT=256 ONLINE=YES
DEFINE DRIVE 3583LIB 3583drv2 ELEMENT=257 ONLINE=YES
DEFINE PATH server 3583DRV2 SRCTYPE=SERVER DESTTYPE=DRIVE LIBRARY=3583LIB DEVICE=/dev/rmt1 ONLINE=YES
DEFINE PATH server 3583DRV1 SRCTYPE=SERVER DESTTYPE=DRIVE LIBRARY=3583LIB DEVICE=/dev/rmt2 ONLINE=YES

when I restart the TSM server, I got the message after run dsmserv:

ANR8200I TCP/IP driver ready for connection with clients on port 1500.
ANR0812I Inventory file expiration process 1 completed: examined 0 objects, deleting 0 backup
objects, 0 archive objects, 0 DB backup volumes, and 0 recovery plan files. 0 errors were
encountered.
ANR0985I Process 1 for EXPIRATION running in the BACKGROUND completed with completion state SUCCESS
at 18:41:47.
TSM:HEPTSM>
ANR8470W Initialization failure on drive 3583DRV1 in library 3583LIB.
ANR8470W Initialization failure on drive 3583DRV2 in library 3583LIB.
ANR8439I SCSI library 3583LIB is ready for operations.

My 3583 has two drivers, drv1's scsi ID is 1 and drv2 is 2, changer's scsi id is 6.
I can see two available rmt device use lsdev command, and tapeutil can load the two device.
MY atape driver version is 7.1.5.0.

hi tkkie, could you help me with your experience.
thanks again for your respondence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back