Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TS22AL Butt Set POTS testing with active DSL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKSim

IS-IT--Management
Apr 22, 2002
US
I have a TS22AL that I have used for years for POTS testing. With more and more DSL on the lines, the need is there for a cheap filter/splitter which will allow POTS testing. I have put a few Z-Blockers in series to get by the Harris Data Lockout feature but it unbalances the line so much that you cannot release from talk back to monitor mode. Anyone have a specific hack they use to get around this? I know Harris sells a splitter, but $200+ for a splitter seems a bit much.

Get an inline DSL filter (Radio Shack, Staples, Office Depot, steal one from a customer that got a self install kit, etc).

Jury rig up a set of test leads on the "Line" socket, and a way to connect your butt set to the "Phone" side.

eBay will sometimes have cordsets for other butt setts that are modular on one end and have JS Popper clips on the other end. A "5-way Binding Post" makes a good "thingie" to connect your butt set's clips to.

I have tried this with a Z-blocker filter but enough high freq data "noise" gets though to trigger Harris' data lockout on the Butt Set. Do you have a model of filter that you know works? I have put several Z-blockers together to get the TS22 to go off-hook but it cannot be placed back into monitor mode. Any other ideas?

You need a butt set that has the ability to overide the the data safe feature. Once you know data is present you can proceed with care (e.g. both use a filter and also be extra carefull about shorting Tip and Ring to eachother or other conductors.

Sorry, I can't make any specific recomendations as I am using an old butt set with an outboard data-safe adaptor.

Good Luck

might be time to break down and upgrade

I bought one of these about a year ago

only downside is it eats 9 volt batteries (probably avrage 3 weeks on one ) once the battery goes dead you have no funcionality cant pull dial tone , nothing its just dead .

other than that Ive been happy with it

I like the size and the flat back ,besides the battery usage I also dont like the no belr clip
i see the TS 44 going on ebay for less than 200 might want to look at one of those

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back