Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TS licensing question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 2, 2005
US
I know this gets asked quite a bit but I was given the task of actually finding out and this seems like the best place to go for good honest advice.

We are getting ready to roll out a new application that will require a limited number of users at first but will grow steadly afterwards. Users will be remote and we are wondering about the difference of TS in 2000 and 2003. All they need to do is run one application. The application would start upon login and close their session upon logout.

My question is: we currently have a 2000 TS that since all of our users are on XP would not have to purchase licenses for BUT if we upgrade to 2003 and we hadn't purchased their XP license prior to April 2003 then we have to buy a TS CAL for each user? TS CAL's are really expensive and we are talking about 100+ users. Could we get buy with just buying CAL's instead of the TS CAL's to run the single application on the server?

Seems confusing to me!!!

If you are going to use Windows 2003 Terminal Server, you are going to need TS CALs for every remote access. There is no getting around this. Are all 100+ users going to connect at exactly the same time? If not, you may get buy with 50 or 60.

What is the application that you are going to need 100 users to access? If you are going to have 100 users, I thing you are going to need more that 1 server. 100 users on 1 server may really push it and cause issues for everyone. Terminal Server 2003 adds alot more stability and group policy features that also improves performance.

"Assumption is the mother of all f#%kups!

It's a manufacturing application that allows users to see inventory levels, production levels, job requests, scheduled maintenance and a lot more. The problem is that it is not web based but we 100+ users in multiple locations that will be using the software almost all of the time as their only application...

Thanks for the info...

I think we'll just stay on 2000 which we won't have to buy anything but maybe another server which could server multiple purposes instead of buying thousands of dollars in TS CAL's for 2003. Seems like just another way for Microsoft to make money :)

No problem. it does make money for MS yes, but it is better. Does your app use a database all? And if so, is it local? Good luck with it.

Yes, it has a back end database that will reside locally on the TS. All settings and database path configurations for each user are stored in an .ini so we should be fine on that route.

I just wish we could feasibly use 2003 for all of the advancements in the virtual address space utilization by the kernel but I just can't see my boss liking the idea of paying a ton of money for TS CAL's to run 1 application.

Does anyone know how much the volume licensing runs for 100 users, 200 users????

How long do you plan to run this app for? W2k support does run out at some stage.

To honest, investigate Citrix and in particular it's functionality to publish applications, that sounds more in keeping with what you want.

I second Citrix also, but if you can't justify purchasing W2k3 then Citrix will be even harder to swallow. For me, 100 users wanting to use an app such as this I know it is likely to be much more stable on Citrix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back