Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TS - License Logging question 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

brendaluv

Technical User
Dec 2, 2002
CA
environment info :

microsoft environment
30 win2k server and 200 WS
5 WinXp WS
1 win2k3 terminal server

Since it's initial setup (ts2k3), we never enabled the TS licensing component. WE have been using it for 6 months now without any problems...yesterday we rebooted the server and this morning users began receiving this error :

The remote session was disconnected because there are no terminal server license servers available to provide a license. Please contact your administrator.

What i dont understand is why were there no grace period errors generated from the server or does it simply deny access after an X amount of time?

another thing to note is that ALL License Logging Service have been disabled on all DC's and Memeber DC's...along with all WS's.

First, the license logging service is disabled by default in 2003. This is a good thing, and the LLS is unrelated to TS licensing anyway.

Second, on 2003 the TS grace period is 120 days.

3rd thing ..

2k3 TS licenses MUST be on a 2k3 machine and not a 2k

okay, i'm a total rookie who's just started a networking class - i have recieved the notice: The remote session was disconnected because there are no Terminal Server License Servers available to provide a license. Please contact the server administrator, as mentioned above.

so how do i fix it? thanks a heap for putting up with a know nothing!

have recieved the notice: The remote session was disconnected because there are no Terminal Server License Servers available to provide a license. Please contact the server administrator, as mentioned above.

so how do i fix it?

The fix is making one of your current DCs a terminal server license server and then installing a license key pack.

FRCP

how might i go about making the DC a terminal server? i'd appreciate the tips.

by the way, i noticed from reading the thread that i appear to be considerably below everyone else's "ability level" and experience. if my questions become a nuisance, i won't be offended if you guys tell me to beat it.

at any rate, thanks for your help. matt

how might i go about making the DC a terminal server? i'd appreciate the tips.

There are 2 parts here your dealing with. One is the "terminal server" the other "terminal server license server". These should be run on two seperate machines, specifically a domain controller for the license server piece. The terminal server being the server that the user logs onto. The license server regulates the issuance of licenses (device or user) for the person logging on. License are issued and installed in "key packs". The key packs are installed on the license server. If you have 5 users/devices, you get a key pack of 5 licenses.

To install either use add/remove programs, then windows components.

Does that help?

FRCP

I wouldn't worry about your ability level - even the experts here at some topics are novices in others, most of us aren't even experts in one thing ;)

To make a DC a TS licence server you need to install the TS licence component via add/remove programs in control panel (it's under the optional Windows components section). Once you do that you need to authorise the licence server and add licences to it if needed. Easiest way is via the automatic connection which connects (via an Internet connection) to the Microsoft Clearing House. If the server can't access the Internet you need to call the Clearing House (the number is given if you select the Telephone access method within the TS licence program).

thank you both (nickferrar and wdoellefeld) for your input. i will try to make heads or tales of everything. might be hitting you guys (or gals) for advice again, as i'm a complete neophyte to networks. thank you so much - will post again when i figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back