Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to share a dial up connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

TelecasterMan

Technical User
Jul 12, 2003
US
Hello!
I'm trying to set up two PC's to share a dial up connection. My problem is, when I go to the internet connection properties and click on advanced, I don't have a box to check or any thing that allows the connection to be shared, I just have the firewall box to check. Is there another way to go around this and check something to make it share the connection or is there a way to get this to appear? I am using Windows XP Home and am doing this with 2 NIC's and a crossover cable. Thanks!

Yeah, when I go there, the only thing that I have on screen is the internet connection firewall. I don't have any thing to enable ICS there. Is there a way to enable this?

Yes, I have. I set the host and client accordingly. On the host I can access the Internet, but not on the client. On the client I can ping the loop back address.

Have you upgraded to Service Pack 2?
If not, do so. Then be certain in the firewall that the Exception is made for File and Printer Sharing.

OK, I will try that. It hasn't been fully installed yet. Thanks, bcastner for your help so far!

For ICS you need 2 nics. If you have only one nic you don't have the option to share your connection.
right click the connection you want to share. set the appropiate setting. select your other nic. you get a warning that your ip will be set to 192.168.1.1.
on your othet pc you have to set dhcp.

cheers

You sure this is nothing to do with running XP home instead of XP Professional?

On XP Home there are certain networking options that are not available but that are available on XP Professional.

The ICS option only appears in the Advanced tab of an Internet
connection when all of these are true:

1. There are one or more Ethernet connections for the home network (LAN). ICS can't use a serial or parallel connection. With more than one Ethernet connection, there will be a box asking you to specify which one to use for the home network.

2. The Internet Connection Firewall is disabled on the home network connection(s).

3. The Internet connection isn't bridged.

It would seem that #1 is not satisfying Windows. Uninstall the ethernet board using Device Manager, restart Windows and allow it to rediscover the card. If a newer driver is available for the board, use it.

See if Windows is now happy with condition #1.

OK. I got the ICS option to appear on the host. I set the host and client accordingly. The host dial-up connection says connected, shared. When it is dialed up, the client shows the host's connection in the Internet Gateway, under Network Connections. The NICs are enabled, crossover cable connected, host dialed in, but I still can't get a internet connetion to the client. I can't ping the client either. On the client, it is showing the gateway address as the hosts LAN IP. I have made some progress, thanks to y'all!

The client Gateway address is correct, it should point to the IP of the Host (192.168.0.1).

Now run the utility discussed in faq779-4625

By the way, are you using Service Pack 2 with your XP?

If so, you may need to manually add your ISP DNS serveres to the Host and client. There are some issues with the DNS proxy server under Service Pack 2.

The entries are made in TCP/IP Properies, Advanced under the network connection.

Almost forgot, also if using XP and Sservice Pack 2 you need to enable uPnP, and allow the exception for uPnP in the SP2 firewall.

Thanks for the help. I'll try the utility. I have not installed SP2 yet. I wanted to see if I could get it to work first. How do I find the correct DNS if I manually put it in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back