Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to setup Netgear wireless at home

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcole

Programmer
Aug 2, 2000
US
Help, I am a programmer trying to setup a Netgear wirelsee network at home. I have an ethernet card(not wireless) on my sony viao/winXP machine connected to a netgear wireless router. I have a netgear wireless pci adaptor on my win2000 upgraded computer. They both appear to be working but I can't get them to see each other. I will not have a cable internet connection until august*have dial up now). Right now I just want the 2 computers to connect. Any suggestions?

1. Check the IPs - should be 192.168.0.x and subnet mask 255.255.255.0
2. Try to ping the gateway (i.e. the router).
3. Try to ping the other machine using just IP address.
4. Make sure the XP firewall is switched off!
5. Check that "Client for Microsoft Netorks" is installed
6. Check that (at least some) files are shared on the PCs
7. Make sure the computer names (in networking) are different, and the workgroup name is the same.
8. Try upgrading the firmware of the router:
** If it is a Netgear MR314, see faq562-3341 **

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Plus check they are on the same chanel, ssid, and the client (your windows 2000 computer) is actually searching for the wireless router.
Have you implemented security on the router? The client wouldn't necesarily automatically recognise the access point if you have.
I'm assuming they were both bought in the same country? wifi tends to be country specific.

the netgear wifis have a setup option to configure the country setting. but if you can ping the gateway, the country settings will not be an issue.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

I have check everything that manarth suggested. I am going to look at the ssid (assuming I can find it now). Both PC's can ping themselves, but not each other. The client PC (Win2000) doesn't have a 192.168.0.x ip or a 255.255 mask. Do I need to change this? How?
Thanks again,
Gail

OK, your win 2000 PC isn't picking up an IP from the AP - it's not connecting properly to the access point.

if the 2000 PC has got IP 169.x.x.x it means it's set to get an IP automatically but it isn't getting one...
fix: go to your VAIO, and look at the IP address. say it's 192.168.0.x - this means your router's IP will be 192.168.0.1.
open up Internet Explorer, and enter web address (i.e. the IP address of the router).
This will take you to the router's setup page.
Go through and check all your wireless settings are correct - the AP should be enabled, give it a SSID name of your choice, disable WEP for now (get it running without WEP before enabling), and check it assigns IP addresses for you.

if your IP address (on the win2000 box) isn't 169.x.x.x, it's probably setup to use a static IP
fix: go to &quot;network connections&quot;, select the wifi card and select &quot;TCP/IP properties&quot;, then select &quot;Obtain an IP address automatically&quot;.

I am now able to ping the host pc. However, I still can't see the other pc. I have tried to map it and search for computers. Still stuck!

OK, If the machines can ping each other, the network is basically working.

Make sure the 2 PCs are in the same workgroup, and each is given a valid, unique, network name. Make sure &quot;file and print sharing&quot; is enabled on the host, and make sure something is shared.

What is it you're trying to achieve? Shared files / folders? Network gaming? For file sharing, windows has it's own &quot;security privaleges&quot; rules which you have to set. Some network gaming requires different LAN networking protocols (some use IPX, instead of TCP/IP).

I am trying to file share. The network is running but the connection says Lan connection and it should say Wireless Connection. I have shared folders setup as well as unique PC names and a workgroup that both belong to. Is there another security setting I am missing? I don't have any firewalls installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back