Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to set up wireless router behind existing network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mateo1041

MIS
Aug 19, 2003
US
Hi everyone,

I'm on a regular network with firewall, servers, and the lot. Our firewall does DCHP. I've been trying to set up a D-Link DI-524 wireless router as an access point, but it just doesn't seem to want to cooperate.

So far I've found the only way to get this D-Link to cooperate as an access point is to set up DHCP on a different IP subnet. I can then connect to our network server and access the internet.

Our regular network uses 172.16.0.0 - 172.16.0.254. The router uses 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.110.

But one problem still remains. I can't get it to recognize other computers in our Windows "CLRGROUP" workgroup. I can't seem to share files or printers. I can't see anyone else and they can't see me behind the wireless router.

How can I rectify this? Any input would really be appreciated. Can the D-Link DI-524 even do what I'm looking for? Do I need to somehow open specific ports? I really don't need the D-Link to act as a firewall. Our network already has one.

Thanks,
- Matt.

Blue Web Studios, LLC

Thanks for your reply.

We already had the wireless router laying around, so I was hoping we could save money and just use that.

FYI, we do already have one wireless access point that is a Linksys wireless router and it works just fine, so I'm not sure what's up with the D-Link.

Can't we just use the D-Link as a simple access point where my computer can communicate with the rest of the office?

Blue Web Studios, LLC

if the dlink supports it, sure. I have two Microsoft mn-700's (they were waaaayyyy cheap) and you have to choose a 'router' mode or a 'bridge' mode... the bridge makes it just an acces point, where the 'router' makes it do dhcp/nat/etc.

Ok, I don't think the D-Link has a mode selection. It just says router everywhere. Our Linksys that does work is set in gateway mode (also has optional router mode), so maybe that's why the Linksys works but the D-Link doesn't.

Thanks for your help. I guess I'll just have to buy a WAP and do away with this D-Link.

Blue Web Studios, LLC

You'll need to access the router setup menu and disable DHCP. Then connect one of it's LAN ports to your network LAN with a straight cable. That should make it work as a WAP.

Maybe the straight cable is what I was missing. I originally tried it with disabled DHCP, but nothing got through. How do I tell the difference netween cables? That has always confused me. Cable color seems to have no significance.

Thanks,
- Matt.

Blue Web Studios, LLC

If the LAN ports on both routers are not autosensing, autoconfiguring, you will need on one of the routers to use the Uplink port, rather than a regular LAN port.

To tell a straight cable from a cross-over cable, the cross-over cable is going to be marked with little tiny printing. On the other hand, you can lay it down and compare the tips to see:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back