Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to run Access97 and Access2000 Dual - major issue with Access97

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBendBuckeye

Programmer
May 22, 2002
US
I have Office2000 installed but a client insists that the application be Access97. When I installed Access97 into a separate Access97 directory it installed fine, comes up fine and is fine as long as you only use the mouse. When you use the keyboard, it literally freezes after 2 key strokes and has to be terminated via the task manager. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, restarted my computer, etc. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I am using them dual where I am currently contracting but that is a different contract and I would like to avoid that situation if possible.

Thanks! Please remember to give helpful posts the stars they deserve! This makes the post more visible to others in need![thumbsup]

Hi

I have also had these problems, and found that uninstalling BOTH versions of office, then installing 97 first followed by 2000 seems to work OK. I know of lots of people who had serious problems installing 97 after 2000.

HTH

Thanks, I found the above in an FAQ but am getting the error even after following the information contained in the above articles. Please remember to give helpful posts the stars they deserve! This makes the post more visible to others in need![thumbsup]

I'm going from memory here but I believe the article said that you have to uninstall both applications and follow a procedure to remove all residuals dlls before you reinstall them. This is no simple fix if they were not installed properly (according to Microsoft) the first time.

----------------------
scking@arinc.com
Life is filled with lessons.
We are responsible for the
results of the quizzes.
-----------------------

I don't remember seeing anything about residual DLLs in any of the above. The only thing it said to do if Access2000 was already installed was to rename a Hatten?.ttf and rename the Access.exe to something else so you didn't overwrite it when you installed Access97.

I didn't know about the above when I did the first install, so I did NOT rename anything, but I did install it into a separate directory so nothing was overwritten. There is nothing in the above link that talks about Registry settings or anything like that so at least for now, I'm hosed.

Thanks for the help so far! Please remember to give helpful posts the stars they deserve! This makes the post more visible to others in need![thumbsup]

Actually there are multiple articles on the Microsoft Knowledgebase about this very condition.

----------------------
scking@arinc.com
Life is filled with lessons.
We are responsible for the
results of the quizzes.
-----------------------

If you had some links, I would be very grateful. Thanks! Please remember to give helpful posts the stars they deserve! This makes the post more visible to others in need![thumbsup]

IF you unintall all of the Access software including Office. Then install Office 97 Professional followed by Office 2000 Standard Edition you shouldn't have any problems. I have done this many times and have not had any problems doing it this way. Both programs are installed in the same default directory. Other option is to wipe the computer clean and then use my trick above. We had to go this route as our DBA at the time was not able to convert all the DB to 2000 format and needed more time for testing but us IT guys like to move on with technology so everyone was upgraded with way to Office 2000.

-WB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back