Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

trying to remove "rnaapp" for good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingofSnake

Programmer
Jul 25, 2000
US
I have tried to defrag before, starting in safe mode and removing EVERYTHING but explore and systray... but, even if I remove all my extra programs, a little program called "rnaapp" will put itself back in the close program dialog box.

I press CTRL+ALT+DEL to remove it, and start defrag again, but soon enough, rnaapp will start itself again and return my defrag back to 0%.

Can someone help me with this, or at least tell me what the heck "rnaapp" does?!

KingOfSnake - The only sports drink with ice crystals
(and marshmellos!)

RNAAPP (Remote Network Access Application) is a core executable for Microsoft Windows Dial-Up Networking. Are you running any DUN services, ie Messaging, Fax, etc?

Heck Even teh Internet and Email will start this little application. You cannot get rid of it. Just as Paulwood stated anytime you run MS Dial up networking it ill run the rnaapp. James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

I've had this same problem defraging 98 machines.
What i think it is, when windows writes to the swap file it thinks the disk content has change(which it has) and restarts defrag. I got round this by putting my swap file on another partion and ever since defraging has taken less tan an hour

I think I'm going to do the sys.ini thing where I change the shell=explore.exe to shell=defrag.exe thing.

But Thanks for telling me about rnaapp. That was my enemy.
KingOfSnake - The only sports drink with ice crystals
(and marshmellos!)

Sorry, disregard my last post. I didn't see that you said you were in safe mode when you were trying to run defrag....woops

You can goto the windows directory and move the rnaapp.exe file and place it in another folder. Reboot and then defrag. I use DSL and some ad-ware will use it to try to connect to the internet from time to time. As well as viruses. So because I use DSL. There is no need for it. I just put it in a ZIP file in the windows directory. If I ever need it again for dial-up, I will unzip it. It works for me. But, to get rid of the offending program.... You need to look to the registry to find what is trying to connect to the Internet. If you would like to do that let me know and I will post it for you. Also make sure that you are not using the task scheduler for auto updates. [sup]Tiger[/sup][sub]Flight[/sub] [tiger]
Everyone has their two cents worth. Lets all try to donate our two cents and maybe we all can come up with a Dollars worth of advice!!!!!

Sorry to cut in, but this thread dates back over a year and KingOfSake hasn't logged in since December of last year, so I doubt you'll get a response!! [bigcheeks]

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Thanks. Did not look at the date. Browser is set to look at newest first. Why was it at the top of my list? Anyhow.

Thanks [sup]Tiger[/sup][sub]Flight[/sub] [tiger]
Everyone has their two cents worth. Lets all try to donate our two cents and maybe we all can come up with a Dollars worth of advice!!!!!

VigilanteX replied to it which brought it to the head of the list... ~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

I would NOT remove rnaapp!! I did this once (LONG STORY INVOLVING A NOT SO SHARP MSN SUPPORT TECH) and then wound up with "FATAL ERRORS" after 3 or 4 web pages into my surfing. . Had to do complete restore!!! Am on Windows 98SE. BEWARE!!!! You have been warned!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back