Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to record a wave file! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpat5411

Technical User
Oct 1, 2002
US
Hello,
I am trying to record a wave file from an audio CD in my CD ROM drive using Windows' Sound Recorder utility. I can hear the audio playing perfectly from the speakers, yet when I hit the record button on sound recorder it does not record anything. I use Media Player Version 7.1, my OS is Windows 98 SE, and the CD ROM drive is a Sony (don't recall model number). Any help you could give would be appreciated!

If I remember rightly, sound recorder will only record from signals through the sound card. A much better method of producing a wav file is to 'rip' it from CD - I'm pretty sure Media player 7.1 can do this (I don't use Media Player very often) - but if not, there's a good freeware program called CDex ( you can use.

Thanks! That program is really helpful. However, when i try to play the wav file I created, all I get is silence. The timer for the particular media player counts the time while the wav file is playing, but no sound! I suspect that I may have a defective sound card.

You may also want to check that the audio cable from you CD drive is connected to your soundcard as I have known players to play music without this cable.

Also have a look at the settings of the record sliders in multimedia (control panel) they could be set to minimum. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

Thanks, I checked the slider settings, and am now able to record using the Sound recorder feature with Windows, but am still unable to get the wav or mp3 files created with the above mentioned program to work. I will contact their tech support to see if they can help with that. Thanks, it is often something very obvious that gets overlooked!

I downloaded another program from ZDnet and it works perfectly! Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back