Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to mount remote dir get RPC: Program cannot be registered

Status
Not open for further replies.

schmidtc

MIS
May 2, 2001
US
I have a Sun Solaris box and a Linux box. I am trying to create a link between the two. I want to share a directory on my linux box with my sun box. When i try to mount the directory that is on my Linux box from the Sun, it tries to mount but i get RPC: Program cannot be registered.

I have used the export on the Linux box to prepare the directory to be shared.

I am somewhat new to unix. I don't get to work on these as much as I would like, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Have you got the nfs.server started. (/etc/rc3.d )
ps -ef | grep nfs should show if this is running.

I get the following information when i run the ps -ef | grep nfs

/usr/lib/nfs/mountd

/usr/lib/nfs/nfsd -a 16

Is this what I should be getting?

Thanks

Are mountd & nfsd running on both your Sun and Linux?

Greg.

I'm not sure if it's running on my Linux (redhat) server. I tried using the same command I used on my Sun box and got no output.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Carl

Run the command of ps -ef | grep nfsd on the linux server
coz ur sharing a filesystem on linux and mounting on sun and also make sure what are the versions of nfs running on linux sometimes it gives problem with old sun clients.however the best solution is just try and kill nfsd deamon on linux and run it again that should solve ur problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back