Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to make network printers show up under all profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhall0326

IS-IT--Management
Feb 4, 2002
US
When a new user logs in, the network printers are not available and have to be reinstalled. This seems to apply to drive maps as well. I am certain it is a profile issue. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Looking for some kind of default profile that I could use for the initial install and allow users to make changes from there.

Thanks,

I have never tried this but,

On a clean install of Win2k setup your default printer etc, logoff and then relogon. Copy the NTUSER.DAT from your profile and place it in the Default User profile. Now logon at a new user and see if it keeps the printer.

When a new user logs on for the first time, NT (Win2k) creates their profile from the Default User profile using the NTUSER.DAT file to create the registry hive. The update of the NTUSER.DAT file only takes place when the user logs off (which is why I said earlier to log off and back on again).

If this works you could roll this NTUSER.DAT to all your desktops default user or use it for a group network profile. New Zealand, a great place to live.
tokala@orcon.net.nz

Hi there..

I use the freeware (and superb) KIX32 in our NT/2K environment.

It's script based, but an absolute doddle to use. You just have the KIX32 program on each workstation, and a script which has something along the lines of

addprinterconnection("\\servername\printername")

to reconnect to the printers and

use J: "\\servername\sharename"

to get (say) drive J: mapped to a particular share.

KIX32 is brilliant, and will make your life SO much easier. Honest.. You can have the script do certain operations based on the user's name, group membership, or even the workstation's name.

Once you have the script, you would have a shortcut in the All Users startup with something like
C:\WINNT\KIX32\KIX32.exe C:\winnt\kix32\scripts\myscript.kix

You could (of course) have the program and scripts living on a server, but this might not be such a good idea if you have a very large user base all trying to log in more or less at the same time.

kixtart.org and kixscripts.com should get you started.

Cheers,
Gerard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back