Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

trying to make a menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverswim

Programmer
Oct 17, 2001
GB
Hi ,
I need to make a menu like the one at which is on the left hand side of the page. I am not sure quite where to start, although I am trying to pick away at the code from their page itself.
I'd be so grateful for any help on this!
Silverswim

Personally I wouldn't use a menu like that as it is vary tempremental, ie the menus don't stay open if you move 1 tenth of a millimeter off of them. Not very user friendly!! Regards

Big Dave

davidbyng@hotmail.com

** If I am wrong I am sorry, but i'm only trying to help!! **

Use MM Fireworks. Make your "base" menu then add a hotspot. Select Pop-up Menus from insert on the menu bar & follow the prompts.

Someone on this list recommended using a very reasonable and easy program available from Costs $29 for single computer, $99 for a site. I used it at My first working iteration was up and running within 15 minutes of download.
It is infinitely adaptable...exports a .js script which then runs the menu. The dropdowns do not work in Nutscrape, which caused me some problems, but their excellent support provided me with a workaround.
Hope this recommendation is not out of integrity with the non-commercial ethics of this site - I have no commercial interest in Selteco.
Nick

Hi wardo
I'm still deciding what to do, but a number of options have come up:
1- make the navigation bar in Fireworks and then import it. However this means you have to be working from a site set up in Dreamweaver- I havent made that work as I have to keep transporting between work and home.
other thing was in the book Dreamweaver magic, which I am about to buy, a dreamweaver master tells exactly how to do it within dreamweaver itself. It involves layers, but he walks you through every step of the way, and then in the next chapter another one tells you how to make the menu vertical- the first chapter was a horizontal menu.
In fact they do it with colouring the menu item with html, so you dont even need an image, -(file size!:))
Anyway, I would have bought the book last night, but the d**m shop didn't take my card.
silverswim

If you create a graphic for the main menu and insert it into the page in Dreamweaver, you can then edit it in Fireworks, this will allow you to add hotspots to individual parts of the menu and attach menus to them.

It is a very simple process and if you are new to web development probably the best way.

Insert graphic in Dreamweaver
Right click and select edit with fireworks.
on asking say no to using a firework image.
Save graphic as file type .png (fireworks standard)
Come out of Fireworks.
In Dreamweaver again right click and edit in Fireworks
yes to use fireworks image and choose the image you just saved.
Use Fireworks to insert hotspots and attach menus - there is a tutorial.
When finished hit done and html will be updated in Dreamweaver.

This does generate Javascript for Dreamweaver which is not necessarily standard, but it will do the trick.

Hope this helps and good luck developing.

OutR@9E
----------------------
Enjoy while u can!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back