Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to install Win 2000 on a sata hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

thugpoet22

Technical User
Apr 30, 2003
US
the system is a 500 mhz cpu and has close to 400 mb in memory. The hard drive is a sata hard drive, but its quite old. I got the computer from my aunt and she told me that the computer was used as a server at her job. So now im stuch trying to install win 2000 but for some reason it keeps stalling at one particular part. After i install it and it prompts me to reboot, it then boots up and finshes installing but then it stalls at the section where your suppose to set the regional settings. And at this point i dont have use of my keyboard or mouse. And im not sure why this is. I dont think its a hardware problem because i booted knoppix on the same system and both the mouse and keyboard worked fine. I just trying to understand why win 2000 wont install properly. I think you all for you help in advance.

Have you got a copy of Windows 98 or 98 SE to try? XP may be worth a try, albeit it may run slow, but this is just to see if this only affects one OS or other OSes aswell...

i think i can get a copy of xp from a friend. I dont have win 98 or 98se , but im going to really look into getting. Thanks for the suggestion.

Are you sure its a SATA drive? (they're quite new - so how old is quite old? And what mobo have you got - with 500mhz cpu & SATA support?)

From your description, it does sound like a hardware problem of some sort. Suggest you disconnect as much hardware as feasible (sound, modem, network cards - or disable in bios if onboard, CD writer, zip drive, acanner, printer etc) and try again. Also with c400 (384?) MB, must have > 1 stick - try installing with just one stick in machine (try each if one doesn't work). If you get it installed, reconnect one at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back