Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to install OS from Gateway CD after mobo swap. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mainegeek

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2002
US
I replaced a mobo on a gateway pc. Having problems getting the os installed using the original os cd. I get the " CD made for Gateway Computers only" nag. I was wondering if there is away around this or if they need to purchase a retail os.

Turned off any BIOS-caching to the hard drive schemes there may be? (IF there are.)
Could that be how the discovery is reckoned?

I copied and edited the cd removing the biosid detection
file. It allowed me to start the setup but wouldn't except the key code. Apparently the are tied together. I called gateway and they said it will not work with mobo change.
They said to use a retail os. I tried a line that has worked before but not on this one. You are correct,it does a bios check first.
Thanks for the response.

An ugly way of doing it(assuming that the old board isn't bad)would be to reinstall the old one, do the gateway installation, swap mobo's and install the drivers.

Unfortunatly the old board was bad. Even though it was under warrenty they wouldn't replace it because the owner told them that it had been struck during a power outage.
I had to modify a few things on the case to get it in. I also make it a rule to do a clean install when swapping mobo's. Especially when the os is WinMe as in this case. I used a clean copy of WinMe with owners key code (as instructed by gateways tech) and everything went in fine.

I have used a command line in the past, during the os install from a gateway restore disk and it ignored the bios check and allowed the install to proceed. But not in this particular case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back