Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to install new Hard disk 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 26, 2002
US
I have a PII w/mmx 400 mhz pc, and i am trying to install a new WesternDigital 120G hard drive, but the bios doesnt see it. I have tried everything that the instructions have said to try.
I was told i might need to update my bios, but i have no idea what mother board i have? Does anyone have any tools that will inspect my motherboard/cpu and let me know what type of bios i need look for???
Any information or help would be greatly appreciated.

Should tell you what it is.
If not, write down the numbers that appear at the bottom of the black screen during bootup, and post them.
Someone will find out what board it is.

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

jmatt:

Fdisk and Windows aren't the problem.. BIOS is.. No "Windows" patch is going to help that.

Marvin: Use Comtecks advice to get your mobo make and model.

Murray

Comtech and SESaskDFC are correct. This is a BIOS problem on you Motherboard. I had the same incident and it was due to the board being manufactured prior to 2001.

ok here is the numbers i have found...
mf6119 ver 1.1 bv2
award ver 4.51 PG
06/16/98-i440bx-w977-2a69km4ac-00

if anyone could help me find a bios upgrade for this i would really appreciate it...
Thanks so much

I'm having a similar problem. I'm running XP on a PII 700 mhz, and I'm trying to install a Western Digital 100GB, and I formatted and partitioned the 100GB H/D and copied my current 28GB drive onto it. But when I remove the current drive and try to boot from the 100GB it only boots to the XP splash screen and stops.
I downloaded the Aida program to read my BIOS settings, but it says my BIOS type is Phoenix 2.02 07/19/00. It says I should look for an update, but I can't find one. Any suggestions?

This is so bizarre. I tried Aida again, along with 3 of the downloads from and nothing will identify the motherboard or BIOS ID. It says Unknown. All I can find is that it's PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0.2 date: 07/19/00. I tried to reboot and get the numbers off the bottom of the black screen, but there are no numbers on the bottom of my black screen.
I have no idea what to do now, or even if the BIOS is the reason the 100 GB isn't working. I booted the computer twice with the 100 GB set as master and the 30 GB (I said 28 before, sorry) as slave, and it booted all the way. I checked in My Computer, and the 100 GB was there as the E: drive, and I could access the files on it, but the XP install wizard made the system reboot on it's own both times, so I gave up.
Now what? Anyone...

How did you copy old to new? Did this include your XP installation (so you are now trying to boot copy of original on new drive)? Was original on C:? - new is on E: - so lots of references to C: won't be there if original drive not in machine? Just an idea.

Just to let everyone know, I got that drive to work with installing a new bios but now my system reboots on its own.
I will be sitting there working and all the sudden it will reboot. EX: Came back from somewhere went to login and the system rebooted.
I am not sure why all this is happening, but it started with the New Western Digital Harddrive i installed...kinda depressing to have a system run fine for months and because you install a new hard drive your system is messed up.
Wonder what WesternDigital is doing to there hard drives and how they are getting them XP certified.
I know i am about to go out and try another type of drive and if it works i will never buy WD again.
If anyone has any more thoughts or ideas let me know.
Thanks to all who have helped with this.

I am sorry i got mixed up, the 40g that i am haveing problems with is a maxtor Diamondmax plus 8, the 80g that i havent tried is the WesternDigital..
I will let everyone know what happens after i reload..again

I copied the old drive using the Data Lifeguard tools, but not the software that came with the drive. That software doesnt' work with XP so they direct you to the WD website where you can download version 10 of the Data Lifeguard Tools that is XP compatible. I also used this to format and partition the WD drive.

righteous74 - and my surmise about drive letters?

I don't know if the old one shows up as C: when I boot up the new one alone, because it only boots to the blue XP splash screen then stops.
The old one shows up as C: when I boot with both of them installed and the new one is E:

Can you run recovery console with just the new one connected (because that will tell you what XP thinks system drive is) - If it isn't C:, suggest you need to do the copy again from scratch.

btw - after you did copy first time, you didn't boot old drive with new drive slaved, before trying new drive on its own?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back