Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

trying to hook up a slave 40 gig IBM HD using a PCI Raid Card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostsoul33

Technical User
Feb 14, 2003
US
My system is an Amd XP 2100..80 Gig Maxtor HD..512 megs of RAM on Windows XP Pro with a 250 watt power supply.I am currently running a Zip 250 with the second IDE controller.I recently upgraded harddrives from an IBM Deskstar 40 gig 7200 rpm to a Maxtor 80 gig 7200 rpm.I installed a Siig PCI Raid card to add 2 IDE slots in order to operate my IBM Harddrive..The card installed fine and is recogonized in Bios but when I hooked up hard drive 2 to it,it totally froze up my system where it wouldn't even boot up.I went into Bios and made some changes but nothing worked no matter what I tried.I even tried swapping the Zip 250 around to the Raid card and hooking the Harddrive in line with the primary harddrive and it still didn't work.I did set the jumpers on the second HD to slave before I even attempted any of this.Any help will be greatly appreciated..

First, using RAID, both HDs should be the same, i.e. size. Second on the RAID both HDs should be set as neutral drives.
Dave

Sounds like you're trying to use the raid controller as another all-purpose IDE controller, not to make hdd arrays? ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...but I'm just a C man trying to see the light

I am trying to picture your set up.
1. You have your master drive on the primary IDE 80G
2. You have your 250 Zip drive on the secondary IDE
3. You have your 40G on the 1st IDE of the PCI Raid card.

First of all why did you add the raid card instead of slaving your 40G drive on the primary IDE?

Second are you sure there aren't any resource conflicts between your raid card and your standard IDE ports?

Third check the resources, make sure they are not being shared between the two. Things like IRQ's can be shared and will sometimes install OK but when in operation will give weird problems.

Raid cards like cable select the best. you need to set the Bios so the raid boots
what OS are you running????
if you are running XP or 2k you need to do a repair install with the F6 option to install the raid drivers for the OS.

you said the boot process froze, did it freeze after the raid bios saw the drive?
will your raid card run as an IDE controller without the drives being configured as a RAID?
is there an OS on the drive?

take the drive the OS is on and install that one on the IDE 0 ribbon and set the BIOS to boot to HD0 (first HD)
boot with the raid card installed but no drives on it, then install the raid card drivers to the OS
then install the other drive on the raid card (cable select)
leave everything set as previous. reboot

good luck

Thanks for all your help.I finally figured where I was going wrong.When I installed the Raid card,I installed the drivers first before I hooked up the hard drive to it.What I should have done is hooked up the hard drive to the RAIOD card first before I installed the drivers of the Raid Card.Thanks for all your help and support.

[rofl]
firewolfrl: make sure you install the drive with the machine off.

Good call, that just might cause problems :) ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...but I'm just a C man trying to see the light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back