Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to get win98 to offer a login prompt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi all,

I noticed this article:

and was grateful to note that it contained instructions for getting windows to offer a login prompt. In my case I wanted the Windows Login prompt, because we're not on an NT domain - but the user needs the prompt in order to login and obtain services from a Samba server. Sadly these instructions, followed with great care, didn't result in a prompt. The user still has to fool the machine by asking to "log off" in order to get a prompt to log on ... Any ideas for forcing win98 to offer a prompt? I poked about in the registry for some time without result.
Any help appreciated
Fergus

Presumably you must have a network card in PC if trying to access Samba server - so why not just enable the network logon rather than trying the windows one? (ie, make client for microsoft networks primary logon). This also does a windows logon - 1st time you should be prompted to agree windows password is same as one you've entered for network - after that it will automatically do windows logon. If you really want just windows logon, enable the facility to allow users to maintain their own settings (passwords icon in control panel)

Hi Wolluf,

Thanks for getting back. The Samba server is indifferent to whether microsoft networks or windows logon are used, both succeed in validating the network password. Selecting the 'windows nt domain' option just generates an error to the effect that there is no nt domain server - fair enough, as there isn't.
But neither networks nor windows login generates a password dialog at startup, I've tried both. The enable users to maintain their own settings is on, but still no password prompt. The desktop appears, and the only way to get a login prompt is to log off. Somewhere inside Win I suppose there must be some switch or other that makes it demand a password - how to turn that on?
Thanks again
Fergus

Yes - sounds like a registry setting somewhere - I've certainly never seen this before for all options (usually the opposite - people wanting login prompt to go away). Only other thing I can suggest (unless a registry guru can enlighten you), is to remove the network card from device manager and let windows redetect & reinstall - hopefully resetting switch/registry entry on the way.

Have Client for Microsoft Networks installed. Goto properties of Client and make sure there is no check mark in box for Logon to NT domain. Make sure File and Print sharing for Microsoft Networks is installed. Set Client for Microsoft Networks as you Primary Login.

Hope this helps.

have you deleted all your pwl files in the windows folder?

one of these might be caching a password and not allowing the prompt to appear.

A big thanks to all of you for taking the time: still no luck, even with the complete reinstallation of the network card and all its tcp/ip setttngs, all the various network configs suggested and all the .pwl files deleted and references to them scrubbed out of system.ini.

I'm completely baffled as to why none of this will produce a prompt, anyone with a clue please let me know.
Thanks again

Its your decision, but if it were up to me, I would format the thing and start from scratch. Probably save time in the long run.

Thanks again, sghouse, I do take your point, which reminds me why I moved all machines I have any control over onto Linux or BSD. At least if they don't work right it's probably my fault, not some deep and dark Redmond mystery. I installed w98 on this machine (which works well other than this problem, and networks fine) two or three times and it never did produce a login prompt. No idea why. For fun I counted the number of time I had to reboot windows to make the various adjustments kindly recommended here. Thirty seven. My linux webserver had uptime of over a year until I put it off for 10 minutes recently to clean under it. Thanks to all who tried!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back