Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

trying to format HDD ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyv

Programmer
Jul 13, 2001
CA
I am trying to reformat my harddrive so I can start from scratch to reinstall win 2000

I start up the pc and go to a dos prompt.
Then I type in format c:
I get a msg telling me that
'format can not begin because volume is in use by another process do I want to force a dismount of this volume y/n?

I reply y

I then recieve msg telling me that
'cannot lock drive volume is still in use

how can I reformat my harddrive so I can reinstall win 2000

- I am currently runing win2000

- I have been nailed with a virus and have 3 days of screwing around I have decided to start from scratch

If you haven't already tried it, boot direct from the CD or if this is not supported, create a bootable floppy disk.

from the win2k disc you can create 4 boot discs.
look for a file called 'boot.exe' or similar and it will create the for boot discs.
Then use the discs to boot.
The step by step instructions will get you going "In life there are 3 types of people. Some that MAKE it happen, Those that WATCH it happen and some that say... hey! WHAT happened ???"

it sound like your not at the ms-dos command prompt..if you have a win98 boot disk use that

hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back