Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to Create a Data Dictionary for SQL tables

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2003
US
I need to develop a data dictionary for my database users. I need to have the dictionary consist of data type, column width, and whether it is a primary key. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Wendy:)

You could also query the INFORMATION_SCHEMA views for table and column information. Check this out:

Code:
select * from Information_Schema.Columns

--Angel [rainbow]
-----------------------------------
Every time I lose my mind, I wonder
if it's really worth finding.

i've got two tables for user definitions as well, one for columns and one for tables, and i join them to the approprate tables in the information schema tables on table name and column name

users really appreciate a longer description of what a table column is intended for besides just the column name

(aside: i'm not sure if you can add these descriptions to INFORMATION SCHEMA directly, i never investigated that)

holler if you want my tables/queries, they are at work, it'll have to be tomorrow, as today's a holiday here in canada (thanksgiving)

rudy

Rudy,

Sorry such a late response but could you please send me your tables/queries.

Thanks,
Wendy

too late, i don't work there any more, and i forgot to zip up everything to take home with me

i zipped up a lot of what i did at that company, but not that

rudy

Thats OK. I am trying to compare the data in one SQL database against the data in another SQL database.

Thanks,
Wendy

has products which compare the database structures between two databases and the data between two databases, SQL Compare and SQLDataCompare.

They are reasonably priced and worth their weight in gold in time saved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back